Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric >

Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric

Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric

Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 AM

Another way to keep your fabric from fraying is to snip a small triangle from each corner of the fabric. It if frays, it will only fray a small bit until it reaches the corner where you have clipped. I clip it when I wash my fabric when it comes into the house and I know than that I have, indeed, washed it.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 AM

Look on the internet on ways to get rid of smoke smell.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:58 AM

Use washing soda along with your detergent. You should be able to find it in the laundry product section.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 AM

Of course, always ask, but in general, with apartments, insurance will cover the physical building, not the contents. Did you have personal insurance to cover your contents? It is very inexpensive. I would wash what I could and deal with any strings as needed. Pinking shears help before washing.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:13 AM

to get the smell. etc out of the fabric, run through a gentle wash with oxi-clean - it's amazingly effective
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
When I lived in NM, I would cut some fresh lavendar sprigs and put them in the bottle with the vinegar. The vinegar dissipated but the lavendar smell stayed was great! (ie natural fabreeze ) not to mention it is dirt cheap!
I like this idea! I have lavender blooming right now. I'm thinking of washing my sheets this way. Do you filter out the lavender sprigs when pouring into the wash?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 AM

It does fray a bit but I just cut the frayed ends off when cutting my pieces. Baking soda is a great deodorizer; you can add about half a cup in with your detergent or better yet, pre-soak in the washer with it and plain water. Wash on a gentle cycle. You could also use one of those knitted wash bags for smaller lengths.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Smoky Fabrics

I agree with the thread about washing in baking soda &/or Oxi-clean. If that doesn't work and you can afford it, (or see if their insurance will cover it....if your fabrics were affected I'm sure your clothes & furniture were affected also),
contact your local dry cleaners about an ozone chamber treatment. About the fraying..I've been pre washing both quilting & fashion fabric for years. For yardage cut each selvage corner diagonally about 1/4" in or if it's a very large piece, fold it into 1 yd lengths, carefully pin along the selvages, then wash & dry. For smaller pieces, I.e. fat qtrs, use a lingerie bag. Good Luck
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 AM

I always wash my fabric and use shampoo.It has less harmful ingredients and does not fade or bleach as detergents do.If you treat your cotton as you treat your hair the fading does not happen.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM

There are a lot of really good suggestions here for you. When I am in a hurry to prewash fabric I simply clip a very small triangle from each corner (about 1/2") and for some reason that keeps the edges from fraying so much. The suggestions about vinegar are excellent just buy a gallon jug and go to work make sure to keep your receipts and the number of laundry loads you do and a record of the time you have spent in case you can recoup that from insurance.