Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric >

Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric

Question about salvaging smoke damaged fabric

Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 PM

It can't be emphasized enough: Do NOT do anything to try to fix damage that resulted from this fire without first checking into insurance, if that's what you're thinking you'll do. The other tenant might have liability coverage that would cover your losses in full, but if you first try to wash it or whatever, the insurance company will not deal with you in most cases. If you have coverage yourself, talk to your company first. They will contact the other person's company to try to collect. They may, however, try to collect from that person even if they don't have insurance, and then you may feel bad about causing them grief. I imagine they had quite a bit of loss themselves.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:20 AM

Thanks for all of your responses :-) As far as insurance, I'm covered, the neighbor was not. It's more of a sentimental thing to me than the monetary value...I was in the middle of making my mother a rag quilt to be used camping, lol! I'm going to combine a few suggestions and see if that works. Vinegar seems like the way to go for the odor, and the Dawn to get rid of the greasy stuff sounds like a great idea, as my furniture was quite "greasy". I won't sweat the small stuff (fraying). And I'll take my machine to a pro to have it cleaned. Thanks again to all for your suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM

wash with laundry soap, vinegar and baking soda. You can "slosh" it in the tub, don't have to do it in machine machine (that's easier of course). When I purchase material from a sale (that's not as clean "looking" as I like) I slosh material in tub, place in washer to spin; take out, rinse in tub, spin in washer....just use a dishpan to transport. A little work, but I feel so much better!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM

What about their insurance? They should cover the damage to your home and their insurance company should either clean or replace your items.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM

call your insurance company, smoke damage is usually covered