Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about trimming before adding binding >

Question about trimming before adding binding

Question about trimming before adding binding

Old 10-05-2011, 03:53 AM

I trim and then serge the edges. Nice clean edge to bind
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

I seem to be the lone wolf here. I sew my binding down to the front side of the quilt; then trim and turn over and hand sew binding to the back. My binding is always stuffed.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I trim the edges too.
Me too!
Me Three! Edie
Old 10-05-2011, 04:05 AM

I always sew my binding on before I trim the edges of my quilts.
This gives me a little something to hold onto and tighten the backing fabric a little as I sew on the binding.
Quilters all have their preferences. Try a couple different methods and see what gives you the best results.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 AM

I always trim the edges of my quilt straight before I bind. I cut the strips 2.5", miter-join the ends, fold in half, and iron. I sew the binding onto the quilt with 1/16th of an inch of the quilt showing past the binding edge. I use a 3/8" seam allowance, and miter the corners. I have found there are at least 11 ways to create or sew on binding to create interest.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Interesting thread, since yesterday I watched a video (link from here) about binding. One thing she did was trim edges even, then sew around them to hold layers in place before sewing on the binding. The other, she actually trimmed the batting a little in from the edge. I'll have to find it again to see what kind of binding she put on that. I think Pieces2 had the best idea. Try a few ways and see what works best for you.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:52 AM

Thanks so much for posting the Sharon Schamber You Tube videos on binding. Just watched all three and I now have a new perspective on how to bind my quilts.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 AM

I was told to put sew the binding on first then trim, as that way you are sure the batting will be in the binding.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
You should leave at least a 1/4" of the batting sticking out from the top. This will help "stuff" the binding and make it firmer. Judges at quilt shows will look for a nice stuffed binding. Plus, if you don't have have your binding stuffed, it will fold in half and then it will start to wear along the edge and split, especially if it is washed a lot. Many antique quilts have split bindings just because they didn't fill the binding enough and they were used and washed a lot.
I usually trim but this makes perfect sense!
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
I was just wondering if I have been doing this wrong since I am sort of a self-taught quilter. When I am ready to add the binding on my quilt, I always trim the edges, including the batting and backing so I have a straight edge to sew the binding onto. Is this the best way to do this or do you leave it all on so you have some extra batting to add to the binding part to make it not be flat? I am open for suggestions and your reasoning. :-)
I sew using a long stitch all around the edge of the quilt and a 1/4" seam allowance. Then I trim the quilt so it is nice and even. Then I sew the binding to the back of the quilt so I can bring it to the front of the quilt, then lay the edge of the binding along the 1/4" sewing line and this makes a nice seam edge on the front as well as the back of the quilt. In order to fill the binding I would take a small strip of the binding and lay it inside the fold so the binding would have stuffing but now I believe if I would sew around the edge of the quilt using a 1/2" seam allowance then I would have stuffing in the middle of the binding.