Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about trimming before adding binding >

Question about trimming before adding binding

Question about trimming before adding binding

Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM

I trim the edges, too. I don't enter in quilt shows so I'm not worried about being judged. I quilt for my pleasure and for charity!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 AM

I had a woman tell me she washed her quilts before adding the binding. Has anyone tried this? I would be afraid that the edges would ravel. I was so surprised at her method that I didn't ask any questions.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 AM

i trim and leave enough to fill my binding
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 AM

I'm amazed at how many people trim first. The couple of times I did that, my backing all bunched up on me when I attached the binding. So I leave it untrimmed (I always square my top before quilting), attach the binding 1/4" from the raw edge of the top,and then trim all the backing/batting to that same 1/4".

Like some others, I do double-fold binding. Cut 2.5", fold in half, attach on the right side of the quilt with a 1/4" seam. And then fold to the back and blindstitch by hand.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
You should leave at least a 1/4" of the batting sticking out from the top. This will help "stuff" the binding and make it firmer. Judges at quilt shows will look for a nice stuffed binding. Plus, if you don't have have your binding stuffed, it will fold in half and then it will start to wear along the edge and split, especially if it is washed a lot. Many antique quilts have split bindings just because they didn't fill the binding enough and they were used and washed a lot.
I do the same thing. I think the binding comes out much better if "stuffed" a littel.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz
I'm amazed at how many people trim first. The couple of times I did that, my backing all bunched up on me when I attached the binding. So I leave it untrimmed (I always square my top before quilting), attach the binding 1/4" from the raw edge of the top,and then trim all the backing/batting to that same 1/4".
I never had a problem with trimming before binding until my last two projects. Perhaps I had problems with the backing bunching up because I did some hand quilting after trimming. To eliminte the bunching problem, one of my more experienced quilting friends told me I should always leave a few inches of batting and backing to give the quilt more "give". It's frustrating to work so hard on a quilt only to have problems at the very end.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 AM

I also trim.