Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about trimming before adding binding >

Question about trimming before adding binding

Question about trimming before adding binding

Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by suzanprincess
Originally Posted by Carol W
I've look for the tip that she puts on the Elmer's glue bottle and can not find one. Does anyone know where to find it?
I couldn't find a tiny tip locally, so googled it. I bought a Quilter's Basting Kit online from Gaunt Industries http://www.gauntindustries.com/Kits-...sting_Kit.html that includes a 4 oz. bottle of Aleene's glue, an empty plastic bottle and needle tip to add to it, a wire to clean the tip and a tiny funnel to fill the bottle. They also have just the bottle and needle tip, which I also got as a spare set. Then at the Staples Office Supply back-to-school sale in August I got their own brand of school glue for one cent a bottle! Got several bottles; can't beat THAT price. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the link - just ordered a basting kit! :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 AM

I do just as you do all the time...works good for me........and then the binding is really straight also.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM

re gluing binding...I think the glue that was used by SS was Elmer's Washable Glue..if that makes a difference...I think I'll pass on the gluing down part....I have also seen some heat n bond narrow tape that claims to work on binding too..have not tried it...I just do it the old fashioned way......
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 AM

I do the same ... didn't know what it was called just have always done it this way...
Boy am I learning alot from everyone on this board... what a wonderful group of people .... quote=YukonViv]I trim my quilt (front, batting and backing) so I have a nice clean edge to work with. I use the french fold technique for binding. I use a 2 1/4 inch binding, fold in half and then sew my binding to the front of my quilt at 1/4 inch...so that the rough edges of the binding is along the edge of the quilt. Then I fold the my binding towards the back and blindstitch it in place by hand.

With this method there is no loose areas in the binding as it's wrapped around the full edge of the quilt.[/quote]

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Carol W
I've look for the tip that she puts on the Elmer's glue bottle and can not find one. Does anyone know where to find it?
I could not fine them either, even though they said they were available at Michael's and Joann's. I bought a Decoart Foam Paint 1 oz paint bottle from Michael's for $1.00. I dumped the paint out and rinsed it (it is washable) really well and let it dry. I've used it for over a year now and it works really well as the lid seals with the snap on cover. I just fill it with the Elmer's Washable School Glue. It goes a long way! Hope that helps someone!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM

I always trim the top/batting/backing even and then attach the binding.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM

I trim the quilt while squaring it up before I add the binding. I guess I'm the only one that uses a 3" binding. I take about a 3/8" seam. I like that my binding is a tiny bit bigger. I learned this tip for one of the published quilters and have been doing it this way ever since. Wall hangings I use a 2 1/2" binding. I've heard of the glue method even bought the tips at Michaels, but have never used them. I don't have a problem with bindings. Sometimes I finish it by hand and sometimes by machine.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 PM

i trim too
Old 10-06-2011, 05:26 PM

I square my quilt top but leave the extra batting and backing on. I always sew the binding to the front and ladder stitch on the back. Try different ways and find what works best for you....there's no right way nor wrong way IMO :D
Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 PM

That is good to know. I usealy trim mine to a straight edge. I will try leaving the batting a little longer.