Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Viking Mega Quilter >

Question about Viking Mega Quilter

Question about Viking Mega Quilter

Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cattyqwltr View Post
Thanks for all of your ideas - especially the one about threading the needle from left to right - that sounds like what could be happening - The manual that I have was a little confusing on that point. I'll certainly keep working with it till I get it going.
Did you use the needle threader? It should be threaded through the needle correctly if you use it.
I also agree with Nancylouie. This machine needs a lot of oil. When I use this machine I oil it in every place the book shows with every single bobbin change.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 AM

There's still a lot to learn about this machine, including the needle threader - the manual that came with it isn't very clear on some points but getting the needle threaded correctly was the first step -now I can actually sew some stuff - thank you very much for all of your suggestions.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:53 PM

I am at my whits end! I have had my Mega Quilter since 2006 but have not had as many issues as I have had lately. I do not have it on a frame - sits on a my sewing table. I can not seem to get that tension where it should be. The top thread looks perfect - the bottom does not. When I tighten the tension, the bottom gets better but the thread keeps breaking. I have no issues with the walking foot and straight stitch - it appears to only be when free motion quilting. I had it cleaned last week, I oil it often and have not changed the type of thread - seems to always like the 40wts. I did today try a 70 needle as opposed to the 90 but the bottom stitch is just not where it should be. Any ideas?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Look for the Yahoo! group for the Viking MegaQuilter/Pfaff GrandQuilter. There are a HUGE number of tips on there. I have the Pfaff, and let me tell you, she is a finicky beast. Tension has to be *just so*, needle has to be new, thread has to be C or Y. But I'm very glad I got it!!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 PM

I wish I had some answers, Susie. I'm slowly figuring mine out - some of it relates to my sewing speed - when I fmq - i move the button all the way to the left -as slow as the machine goes - then it's between my foot pressure and moving the quilt underneath the needle. My thread still breaks on me, once awhile - not like it did when I first got the machine though.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
Looked in my Mega manuel. for top thread breaking these are trouble shooting guides. 1. needle thread not threaded properly ( thread goes in needle from left to right) 2. needle thread tension is too tight 3. needle bent or blunt 4. needle incorrectly inserted 5. needle thread and bobbing thread are not under presser foot when starting to sew. 6. thread to heavy or fine for needle. I also found if the needle is not threaded from left to right it will unthread itself. to adjust thread tension just turn the white knob on the front of the machine a click or two either way until it is where you want it (not the white knob on the top of the machine). I am quilting a lap quilt right now, my tension is on 5. That is where it was when I bought it, I have never had to adjust it. Hope this helps, I love my Mega Quilter!!!!! I have it on a frame and it works great for what I quilt. I had it on table before I bought frame and is just as great that way. IF the thread breaks while it is on the frame I have found it sometimes is the speed at which you are sewing in combination with the speed at which you are moving the machine. It takes practice to find your "sweet spot."
I also have the mega quilter and I love it; never have a problem with the thread. I use mainly Aurofil which the viking rep recommended. I'm at work so I can't check but when you are threading it's important as to how you put the thread thru the top hole guides; I know you skip one. If you can check manual you'll see this is a very important step. Also the Mega quilter needs to be oiled frequently. I'm sure a manual could still be gotten for it. I had the chance to trade mine in when I bought the Ruby but I wanted to keep it; its a good machine.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Along with making sure it is threaded correctly which includes when you first start threading and you are putting the thread in those top hole guides; it is important to go a certain way. I don't have my manual but it says it's important. Also Vikings bobbins aren't like others. You can't wind them on the sidewinder; it winds the thread the wrong way. I have 3 Vikings and they all use different bobbins so make sure they are threaded right and are the right ones for it. I hope all of this info helps. The mega quilter is a great machine and I think once you get the stitches going right you'll love it. If you have a Viking rep in your area you could ask them if you could bring it in and have them to show you. Our rep recommends Aurofil thread no matter what you are doing. I know others have used other threads without problems. Good luck

By the way; there is a CD that came with the machine that shows how to thread it. See if you can get a copy of that as well as the manual.