Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Viking Mega Quilter >

Question about Viking Mega Quilter

Question about Viking Mega Quilter

Old 11-20-2011, 05:54 AM

Default Question about Viking Mega Quilter

My sister recently gifted me with her Viking Mega Quilter machine to thank me for helping her with her shop. My problem is that I've been trying to sew with it and the top thread either keeps getting broken or the needle keeps coming unthreaded. She has said she thinks the tension has gotten messed up. I've tried checking the bobbin case, changing spools of thread, changed the needle so the tension is the only thing left that I can think of but getting a little frustrated as I can't seem to figure it out. Tried looking at youtube for tutorials, but come up with lots of videos unrelated to my question.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Machine is very nice and she even has a quilting frame that I might look into some long arming eventually. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Where did she buy her machine? I'd go back to the dealer, or go to any Viking dealer. The ones I deal with all are very helpful.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 AM

I don't have a Viking but....did she give you the manual? If not, I would go on line and see if you can find one. Some times (and I don't know about Viking) but the threading of the machine can be quirky. I have a Brothers that I love but have to follow the directions for threading it every time I use it. I have been sewing for 40 years and usually threading is very much the same, but this Brother is a bit different. Good luck. I know how frustrating what you are going through can be. Yolanda Wood River
Old 11-20-2011, 07:17 AM

Hi I've got the Viking Mega quilte also plus I got he frame. The machine works ok when not the the frame. But When I try to sew on the frame the thread always breakas. I've tried to go back to the quilt shop, no help. I won't get another viking. I'll stay with my Bernina. I've had her for 12 years and no trouble.Miss lucy
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Looked in my Mega manuel. for top thread breaking these are trouble shooting guides. 1. needle thread not threaded properly ( thread goes in needle from left to right) 2. needle thread tension is too tight 3. needle bent or blunt 4. needle incorrectly inserted 5. needle thread and bobbing thread are not under presser foot when starting to sew. 6. thread to heavy or fine for needle. I also found if the needle is not threaded from left to right it will unthread itself. to adjust thread tension just turn the white knob on the front of the machine a click or two either way until it is where you want it (not the white knob on the top of the machine). I am quilting a lap quilt right now, my tension is on 5. That is where it was when I bought it, I have never had to adjust it. Hope this helps, I love my Mega Quilter!!!!! I have it on a frame and it works great for what I quilt. I had it on table before I bought frame and is just as great that way. IF the thread breaks while it is on the frame I have found it sometimes is the speed at which you are sewing in combination with the speed at which you are moving the machine. It takes practice to find your "sweet spot."

Last edited by ontheriver; 11-20-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 AM

The manual is most important if you do not have one. But there are some "rule of thumb" you can check.
1. Are you using the correct needle. Most longarm machines use an industrial needle. The shank is round instead of flat on one side.
2. If using the industrial needle, is it inserted correctly? Industrial needles have a long "scarf" on one side. The needle scarf goes to the front of the machine. (exactly the opposite of domestic machine.) In a longarm, when getting breaking thread you can turn the needle just a hair right or left to make a good stitch. (the needle eye would be at the 5:30 or 6:30 position)
3. Do you have the correct bobbin for the machine?
4. Do you have the bobbin in correctly? On my hq16 the bobbin unwinds counter clockwise (opposite of a domestic machine)
5. With the bobbin in the bobbin case, lift the thead up, your bobbin case should stand up and come out of your hand but crawl down the thread much like a spider and it's web.
6. Loosen the needle tension completely, holding the thread thru the needle gradually tighten the needle tension until you get taut resistance.

But first and foremost, I would give the machine a very complete cleaning and oiling. If possible, take the needle tensioner apart and clean the discs very well.

I have heard good and bad reviews about the Viking Mega Quilter. You might try calling Viking and see if they might be able to give you a bit of help too.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 AM

I had that problem at one time and it was the tension. What type of thread are you using? I always use a top stitch needle.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 AM

I belong to a yahoo group for my Viking SE = you might want to check and see if there is one for your machine specifically. You can ask questions and get answers or search the forum for previously asked questions. It might help.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks for all of your ideas - especially the one about threading the needle from left to right - that sounds like what could be happening - The manual that I have was a little confusing on that point. I'll certainly keep working with it till I get it going.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM

i have a mega quilter and you must oil that machine lots!!!!! What kind of thread you use does make a differenct also. What kind of needle does make a difference also.