Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Question about Warm and Natural batting

Question about Warm and Natural batting

I haven't used Warm and Natural batting very much, all the other times I bought the stuff on the roll and had them cut off what I needed.
    This time I bought the Warm and Natural in a package from JoAnn's
    When I opened it there was a unpleasant smell.. I put it in my dryer with some fabric sheets, it was wrinkled so I thought this would help with that and the smell...

I started quilting my lap quilt and have it about half done and notice the smell is still there.. not as bad but still there..It has been raining for a few days and things are real damp, i thought that may be why the smell came back..

Anyone have this happen with Warm and Natural? Will the smell go away?
    Should I wash the quilt when it is done? It is a gift and I didn't want the quilt to look like it was a used one..Thanks for you help...

I use Warm and Natural all the time and I've never had an issue.
    So much fabric, so little time.

Never had a problem with their batting.

I use Warm and Natural all the time....no problems.

I've used W&N 3 times in the last few months and haven't noticed any smell. I just unpackage, fluff in the dryer and use.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I only use Warm & Natural . Never had a bad smell to it. I always wash and dry my quilts before giving them. I want to make sure there are no marks or dog hairs on it, that it smells fresh, and so tgat the recipient won’t be shocked when the quilt looks crinkled after they wash it.

Blog Entries
    I use warm and natural too, no issues. Maybe you got a bad batch? I would wash it before gifting.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

The smell could have come from the plastic bag it came in. Never has a problem with W&N.

I noticed a chemical smell in my last package of W&N too. (Purchased in the last month) This was a new experience. I have used it for about 10 years and have been very pleased and no smell problems. If it happens again, I will return it. The smell did dissipate, but who wants to smell chemicals while they are sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
    The smell could have come from the plastic bag it came in. Never has a problem with W&N.
    I suspect it was/is the packaging as well. I bought a roll and have it standing on end in my sewing room - for a long time now, lol - and have never noticed any odors.

Blog Entries
    Every single quilt I make is laundered as the final step to completion. I’ve never had one look ( used) when I gifted it, sold it or donated it. I launder them to remove any starch, oils from handling, markings, and to make sure all is secure and correct. If any issue should arise I want to be able to fix it before it leaves me, I don’t want the recipient to be stressed over something that happens when they launder it the first time that I could have found and fixed.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Warm and Natural is my go to batting. I have purchased it by the yard and also in packages. It often sits in the package for some time as I buy ahead when it is on sale. I've never had an issue with smell. I also wash my quilts when they are done. Yes, they crinkle because of the batting but for me that's what makes it an inviting quilt. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I've used either Warm and Natural or white and natural in all my Project Linus and have never had problems with an odor. All of mine is either purchased at JoAnns or Walmart. I'd wash the quilt before giving if I were you with a Color Catcher to absorb the excess dye. Tell the recepient that is the reason it was washed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
    I use it all the time also and never had a problem. However I generally buy it by the huge roll. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Blog Entries
    I am not a fan of warm and natural what I used was way to stiff and I like soft quilts so my favorite batting is Hobbs 80/20 use it all the time just my personal choice

I would go ahead and wash it when it's completed. Better a washed look than an unpleasant smell.
    Lisa

Same here, never a problem with W&N in either the packaged or off the roll. My favorite batting.

I have always bought my Warm and Natural on the roll. I've never had a problem. I wonder if the manufacturer or the store where you got it kept it someplace damp.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Thanks everyone,

I am going to wash and dry it..if you dry the quilt on the line will it still shrink some to get that crinkly look? I don't have a dryer right now.. Thanks again

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nope, never had that happen with ANY batting I got from Joann.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArlaJo View Post
    I have used it almost exclusively for years and never had a problem or smell.

I never smell any odors on any fabrics or battings.

i always wash and dry all finished quilts, no matter what.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'd go to the Warm Company's website and leave a note, they have fantastic customer service. I use their poly batting by the roll and I had a roll a couple years ago that had odd thin spots every few feet around the edges. I sent a note and they made it right and then some, they sent me a huge box of batting to make up for the loss and gave me some craft and twin sizes of new battings coming out too. They also had me sent several pictures and sent a prepaid envelope so I could send some of the damaged batting for them to examine. I've gone thru several rolls of their batting and never had it smell, I would definitely let them know about the issue.

I also use Warm and Natural a lot and have never noticed an oder. I haven't purchased any recently (have a pretty large stach) so maybe it is something new that they are doing to it. I agree with Austinite and would definitely let them know of the problem.
    Kindness matters

Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
    Thanks everyone,

I am going to wash and dry it..if you dry the quilt on the line will it still shrink some to get that crinkly look? I don't have a dryer right now.. Thanks again
    I believe it is the drying that causes most of the shrinkage. If you haven't sandwiched it yet, you might try just soaking in the tub and air drying the batting by itself. (for someone who doesn't want the crinkly look, but still wants to wash the quilt before gifting, I have seen it suggested to wash (gently) the batting by itself and dry in the dryer for a little while. I would be very gentle doing it this way, but some folks do it successfully. That way the batting will be preshrunk when you use it, and the quilt will shrink less when all put together and laundered.

Also, I have found that if you iron the quilt after laundering, it helps it get back that crisp new look. Not completely, but maybe enough for your preferences.