Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Warm & Natural... I need some great advice!!! >

Question about Warm & Natural... I need some great advice!!!

Question about Warm & Natural... I need some great advice!!!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 AM

I absolutely love W/N and use it for everything. On the Warm web site they say W/N and W/W are 88% cotton and 12% poly scrim. When my quilts really need washing I wash in cold water and dry on low heat. Shrinkage is insignificant, and the item (usually table runners or placemats) can be ironed if I really want the crisp.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sewlmatesister View Post
I only use Hobbs Thermore, I don't want my batting to be lumpy and I do want everything flat, if I use it on the table.
https://www.connectingthreads.com/to...g_TD20825.html
My choice too..and the fab gets prewashed.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Yeah, everybody seems to think that but if it was actually 100% cotton you wouldn't be able to quilt it 10 inches apart. The poly scrim is why you can quilt it that far apart. You have to read the fine print on the label.

If you read this website carefully you won't find anywhere that it says W&N is 100% cotton. http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html
Not to contradict your post but, I went to the website and didn't find anything about using poly in the process, but this is what I found near the bottom of the listing:

"How it is made: 100% cotton fibers are punched with hundreds of needles into a strong, thin base material to prevent tearing, shifting or migration.

The needling process holds the fibers together without glue or resins. The evenly layered fibers stay in place inside your quilt even with generations of washings."
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1 View Post
I thought Warm and Natural is 100% cotton... doesn't it say it is on the label? Why is it so heavy?
Cotton is heavy. It's dense. Feel the weight difference of a cotton sweater and an acrylic sweater, for instance...
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
Not to contradict your post but, I went to the website and didn't find anything about using poly in the process, but this is what I found near the bottom of the listing:

"How it is made: 100% cotton fibers are punched with hundreds of needles into a strong, thin base material to prevent tearing, shifting or migration.

The needling process holds the fibers together without glue or resins. The evenly layered fibers stay in place inside your quilt even with generations of washings."
Dee1245 ... it's a play on words .... the 100% cotton is what is between the "strong, thin base material". They don't tell you what that and that is what Scissors is referring to, as not being cotton.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I use Warm & Natural for all my quilts, bed, wall, table, especially wall hangings as I feel it gives more stability to the wall hanging; as I've used polyester before and wasn't happy with the results.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on batting! I am gleaning so much useful information! I am very grateful and much less confused! thank you!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

While we are having a batting discussion ... I'd be interested to hear about the pros and cons of both wool and silk battings.

An LQS is having a sale til March 5th of the Tuscany/Hobbs battings.
I am thinking of getting one of each, but would really like to hear more as to the merits and negatives of each.

One that I spotted ... both have a maximum quilting space of 4".

Thanks for your insights!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 AM

I use pellon fusible fleece for placemats and runners lays very flat and washes great
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM

You can use w/n in wallhangings. I do it all the time. To avoid the crinkly look, it is best to have your wallhangings and table runners dry cleaned. Quite recently I learned that wool is better as fold lines will not develop. However it's cold water wash, cold water rinse, line dry, to avoid shrinkage.