Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for bag makers please >

Question for bag makers please

Question for bag makers please

Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 AM

KG2, can I ask what pattern you are using? I've made bags, with and without zippers but most had pretty good directions to follow. It looks like the bag Patchworkbarb posted has "D" rings, which can make adding a single strap a little easier because you add the long part of the strap after the rest has been sewn. Not sure what all video's you've watched, but I do recommend The Crafty Gemini. Her video's are pretty clear and she gives a lot of details that may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ekg6QghSc
Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 AM
dms

What about measuring your zipper 1" smaller than needed and enclosing the ends with just fabric. Then when you are sewing the 1/2" side seams, you are only sewing through the fabric from the zipper and not the whole thing? Hope this makes sense. Missouri Star has a tutorial on bag making and shows this. Jenny does a great job.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the reply Sue. For the first bag I used this tute.

http://colorgirlquilts.com/2014/05/s...-tutorial.html

For my own personal purse I made up the pattern. I've made the same bag for myself 3-4 times and finishing the top is so difficult, I'm not looking forward to making another one.

I'll go and look at the youtube videos you recommended.

Oh, I just downloaded a pattern by Swoon called the Ramona mini hipster bag because I wanted to see how she did the handles. It uses the recessed zipper. Maybe that's what I need to do??

To just make bags to give away, I'm fine with 2 handles. But for my own personal bag, I really like one long shoulder strap, attached at the edges of the bag, not the front.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by dms View Post
What about measuring your zipper 1" smaller than needed and enclosing the ends with just fabric. Then when you are sewing the 1/2" side seams, you are only sewing through the fabric from the zipper and not the whole thing? Hope this makes sense. Missouri Star has a tutorial on bag making and shows this. Jenny does a great job.
Thanks dms. That's what I did for the last bag I made and it really made a big difference in the amount of bulk I had to sew through. I'm sure if I used 2 handles attached to the body of the bag it would have been a breeze to sew.

If I could only figure out how to attach a single side shoulder strap, I'd be fine!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 AM

There isn't a zipper at the top of the bag, it closes with a magnetic snap. This bag sold almost as soon as I finished it.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 AM

Thanks Barb. It is a super attractive bag, I'm not surprised you can sell it quickly. I think if I wasn't using a zipper, adding my shoulder strap would be a lot easier. It's that zipper that's causing me an issue. (at least that's what I think, but I'm a novice!)

Ok, back to the Crafty Gemini!!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM

The Professional Tote is a pretty easy sew as well. Lots of pockets in this one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]572132[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0651.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 AM

Very nice Barb!! Here's a picture of my personal bag. I have a little storage space between the seats in my car and I designed the bag to fit inside there. It's pretty small. I made the exterior, then the lining. I put them together RST, pinned the handles and zipper to the package and sewed it shut around the top, leaving a small space for flipping the bag. It was SO hard to sew because the zipper made the top of the bag even smaller and I had to sew around it. I'd love to sew the zipper to the bag and then seal up the bag, flipping it through the lining.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572133[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]572134[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bag-1.jpg   bag-2.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 AM

Sue, the Crafty Gemini had an interesting solution. She simply sewed the handle to the side of the bag after it was completed. Wow, can it be that simple?

I guess I'm off to make another bag and test this out!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 AM

Oh, I just downloaded a pattern by Swoon called the Ramona mini hipster bag because I wanted to see how she did the handles. It uses the recessed zipper. Maybe that's what I need to do??

by the way, she (Crafty Gemini) has a tutorial of adding a recessed zipper