Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question from a beginner >

Question from a beginner

Question from a beginner

Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Rethread your machine making sure the top thread is through the tension disk. Hold the thread off the bobbin in one hand and the end of the thread (after you've threadded it) and tug on both ends. That should make sure it's in the tension disk. Next make sure your bobbin is seated properly in the bobbin case. There's a tension like thing there too. Put your finger on the bobbin and pull a little on the end of the thread after you threadded the bobbin. If your tension area has a dial with numbers on it, put it in the middle. Looking at your sample, I think either the top thread or the bobbin is not in a tension disk. What kind of machine do you have?

You have one quilt started and want to put that side to do another - that's a sign of a true quilter! :D

Also, you should come into the chat room next time you're online. Click on the "live chat" button at the top of the site. Anyone there will be happy to help you out.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

I would say that it is your top thread. it doesn't look like it has tension so it is either it is turned down to low or the thread didn't make the tension disks, like stated above, try rethreading it all, top and bottom, Check to see what the dial on the top says, and turn it up a little, it should be around the center of the numbers, you will be able to tell what thread is doing what if you use different colors on the top and bottom,
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x

Rethread your machine making sure the top thread is through the tension disk. Hold the thread off the bobbin in one hand and the end of the thread (after you've threadded it) and tug on both ends. That should make sure it's in the tension disk. Next make sure your bobbin is seated properly in the bobbin case. There's a tension like thing there too. Put your finger on the bobbin and pull a little on the end of the thread after you threadded the bobbin. If your tension area has a dial with numbers on it, put it in the middle. Looking at your sample, I think either the top thread or the bobbin is not in a tension disk. What kind of machine do you have?

You have one quilt started and want to put that side to do another - that's a sign of a true quilter! :D

Also, you should come into the chat room next time you're online. Click on the "live chat" button at the top of the site. Anyone there will be happy to help you out.
I have a Singer, 2502. I got it a few years ago but never used it. I'll try rethreading it and see what happens, but I need to finish up dinner first.

I'm so anxious, I can't stand it!

See you in the chat room.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

if it hasn't been used in a few years it may like a little oil as well, it is best to use the manuel for this, they will tell you the best place to put it, and then run it without thread to work some of it in,

Eating can really get in the way of sewing time, it can be so annoying.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

That would be pretty if you were using that stitch to decorate a teddy bear applique :D:D:D That's quite a birds nest you have going on :shock:

I would get out your manual and make sure that you have threaded your machine correctly and that the bobbin is in correctly too..it does matter which way the thread unwinds off of it :D:D:D

Is this a new machine or new to you? If it is a used machine, I would buy bobbins that you know for sure are made for your machine and replace the needle too...

Plastic bobbins are what's reccommended for my machine...but if they have the slightest burr on them my machine gives me fits.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Plastic bobbins are usually recommended if you have a sensor as they can't read it through the metal, that is also why if you use disposible that they tell you to take the cardboard off, I don't listen to my warning anyway so it doesn't matter if it reads it or not, the ones that like the metal don't have sensors on them,
Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by amma
That would be pretty if you were using that stitch to decorate a teddy bear applique :D:D:D That's quite a birds nest you have going on :shock:

I would get out your manual and make sure that you have threaded your machine correctly and that the bobbin is in correctly too..it does matter which way the thread unwinds off of it :D:D:D

Is this a new machine or new to you? If it is a used machine, I would buy bobbins that you know for sure are made for your machine and replace the needle too...

Plastic bobbins are what's reccommended for my machine...but if they have the slightest burr on them my machine gives me fits.
Amma,

You are hilarious! If birds nest isn't a stitch do you think I could do a 'tute' on it?

It's a new machine, but I've had it a few years. It's been sitting in the closet waiting patiently. Now, where did I put that manual?

Thanks for your help, and humor.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Even if it is a new machine, the oil doesn't age well on the machine and will need more,

if you can't find the manuel, there is usually numbers to go along to thread them, so start at the beginning and go along, most machines thread very similarly.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM

not always but "almost always" when there is bad threads on the bottom of your fabric it's because the top thread isn't threaded properly and when there's bad threads on the top it's cause the bobbin is not loaded or seated properly. if i were you, i would re-thread the top, making sure it is definitely threaded properly and try again, and i'll bet that corrects it.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

It sounds like you want to do the "quilt as you go" method, where the putting together of the pieces also functions as the quilting because you sew through all layers. Why on earth would you want to do that by hand? Sorry - personal bias crept in. (If I depended on hand-sewing, I would never finish anything.)

I would suggest that you want that seam to be as tight as possible coz it is doing double-duty.

Why don't you watch a couple of tutorials on the "quilt as you go" method to fully understand how the individual squares get attached to each other later. The log cabin is a good pattern for what you intend.

IMHO, over-sized and cutting down insures that you have enough backing and batting.