Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question concerning swaps >

Question concerning swaps

Question concerning swaps

Old 10-24-2010, 06:42 PM

I understand that feeling all too well. Been there many times throughout the years. For me, if I don't prewash before I start playing with them, I have breathing problems and chest pains as well as rashes and such. I never was that bad before (except for the itchies), but since I have to do that now, when I get around unwashed ones, I have to get them away from me soon.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Quiltingbee- that is actually washing --- so it would qualify I would think
Old 10-24-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by natalieg
I understand that feeling all too well. Been there many times throughout the years. For me, if I don't prewash before I start playing with them, I have breathing problems and chest pains as well as rashes and such. I never was that bad before (except for the itchies), but since I have to do that now, when I get around unwashed ones, I have to get them away from me soon.
If you are concerned for this reason, I would probably get in the habit of washing swap items as soon as they came in the house. Even though they are supposed to be pre-washed, it's hard to guarantee that they are. I know some people have had success washing delicate items like blocks that are already pieced in a delicates bag on the gentle cycle in the washer. Just a thought.

Rachel
Old 10-25-2010, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
Honestly, I don't think they are all pre-washed BUT I do think that you could let the person in charge know that you have to have yours pre-washed and she could let the person who gets your name know. I know if I was told that my assigned partner had allergies or whatever, I would make VERY sure to pre-wash and rinse a couple of times. Have fun with the swaps!!
What kind of sweet little angel-drop is your avatar? I have two little angel-drops, Taz (sounds like an angel, huh?) & Boomer (no gracefulness there!). They are shih-tzus.
She is my little furbaby and she is VERY spoiled..LOL. She's actually a mutt. Long story short...her daddy (3 pound Yorkie) crawled under gate to have a little date with her mother (6 pound Maltese) and she was the result :D The breeder gave her to me for the price of the vet bills. She was NOT happy as she had already bred the little Maltese with another Maltese. The funny part is that now it has become popular to breed these "designer dogs" and they are asking THOUSANDS of dollars for them. I got lucky!!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 AM

Well, she is absolutely adorable! My mom has three maltese, one full, one crossed with chihuahua and the other with Pomeranian (I think). My sis breeds maltese as well. Sometimes she crosses the maltese with her chihuahua. They are cute though.

Honestly, I don't think they are all pre-washed BUT I do think that you could let the person in charge know that you have to have yours pre-washed and she could let the person who gets your name know. I know if I was told that my assigned partner had allergies or whatever, I would make VERY sure to pre-wash and rinse a couple of times. Have fun with the swaps!!
What kind of sweet little angel-drop is your avatar? I have two little angel-drops, Taz (sounds like an angel, huh?) & Boomer (no gracefulness there!). They are shih-tzus.
She is my little furbaby and she is VERY spoiled..LOL. She's actually a mutt. Long story short...her daddy (3 pound Yorkie) crawled under gate to have a little date with her mother (6 pound Maltese) and she was the result :D The breeder gave her to me for the price of the vet bills. She was NOT happy as she had already bred the little Maltese with another Maltese. The funny part is that now it has become popular to breed these "designer dogs" and they are asking THOUSANDS of dollars for them. I got lucky!!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Banned

I have received FQ's that were cut and labeled at the store. It doesn't make sense to have to open the package to wash then for a swap, I am glad my person didn't. I like them un washed. Actually I don't prewash my fabric. I like it that when you wash the quilt for the first time and the fabric and batting(100%cotton) shrinks and puckers giving it a vintage look. It makes my tiny little hand quilted stitches POP.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:43 PM

I preferred mine unwashed since I have been quilting. But, with the allergic reactions I have now, I have no choice. It was my choice to not join anymore swaps, but I do miss them. I finished up the ones I was in after I found out about the allergy, but had a lot of problems with them.I always liked the look of the shrinking with the quilts as well.

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I have received FQ's that were cut and labeled at the store. It doesn't make sense to have to open the package to wash then for a swap, I am glad my person didn't. I like them un washed. Actually I don't prewash my fabric. I like it that when you wash the quilt for the first time and the fabric and batting(100%cotton) shrinks and puckers giving it a vintage look. It makes my tiny little hand quilted stitches POP.