Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question for employees of Joann's >

question for employees of Joann's

question for employees of Joann's

Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 AM

I worked at Home Depot for 10 years. Same policy.It's a fact of life that a certain percentage of employees steal because they feel they are overworked and underpaid. We used to joke as to how many 2x4's you could fit in a backpack!!! LOL
Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 AM

this seems like a common practice among most retail stores...you could get lots of stuff in a purse (thread, needles, ink pads, beads etc) and over time, you could amass quite a haul....i do not blame the store managment...
Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 AM

Same clear bag practice when I worked retail in the early 70's. It was what is was. The funny/ironic thing is how ruffled my feathers got over Homeland Security baggage checks at airports. Still annoys me, but there is some history there.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:24 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

that's pretty much standard policy for retail I think. My daughter works at a BATH AND BODY in Columbus and they have the same policy
Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 AM

Might be store policy, although in front of customers, I don't think was cool. I used to work for Dillards and it was their policy to look into purses as the employees were leaving at the back door. No customers allowed back there.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:35 AM

Yup-----we have to open our purses and bags or anything else we carry out of the store. INCLUDING a coffee thermos!!

I have not heard Ben Franklin mentioned in years......guess I'm just too dumb to be a very good thief....would never cross my mind to hide stuff in folded fabric !

HOWEVER, I did steal a purple onion one time from Kroger.....was shopping, had child in cart, put purple onion in what I was thinking was my cart, however, I had placed it in my open purse ! When I got home was looking for my onion and found it in purse....went back to grocery with onion and offered to pay and they said, no you can have it for being honest ! To this day when I buy a purple onion I always think of that !

I worked at JoAnn's for a couple months back in '94 and that was policy then.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 AM

I have seen that too and asked. All bags have to be inspected by another employee before another employee leaves the store. Talk about great rapport and trust! Yuck! What are they setting themselves up for. I don't like that much. Treat someone like a thief and maybe they will be one. But, show them you trust them and make them part of the business and proud! Wow! Just think! IMHO - whatever that is worth!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by linken
I worked at Home Depot for 10 years. Same policy.It's a fact of life that a certain percentage of employees steal because they feel they are overworked and underpaid. We used to joke as to how many 2x4's you could fit in a backpack!!! LOL
Remember the song by Johnny Cash about working in Detroit and taking home car parts, and after all those years he built himself a Cadillac, but he didn't know what year to call it?