Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for GFG Gurus >

Question for GFG Gurus

Question for GFG Gurus

Old 04-17-2015, 06:10 AM

I saw this layout online somewhere and loved it....progress has been slow due to vision issues, but I love the 1" hexies. The black background is actually just the same flower as the colored flowers-and I am alternating the flowers on the diagonal....probably not how it should be done, but it's my first hexie quilt, and it works for me!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 AM

jillmc. you say "probably not the way it should be done", but I say anyway you want to do it is the correct way. I really like your layout. Would never have thought to use black, but it sure is impressive.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

aftere doing my flower, I just rounded it with green for vines. and attached the next flower with just one round of green between them good luck.

it depends on your design. google them. lots of different ways to do it.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:11 PM

Thanks for your answers. I have concluded I didn't ask the question the right way. I do have a layout and what my friend had told me was that a certain ? number of path pieces should be applied to each block, but not all the way around as when assembling they would fit together and you shouldn't have gaps or extras. She couldn't remember whether it was 6 or 8 or some other number and I have figured out that is probably right. I have printed off the hexagon paper and will experiment. I am about to get the third one done with 8 path pieces so shall probably get it figured out, I hope. You are right, there are lots and lots of beautiful layouts and there is a beauty in each one and I have loved seeing all your posts and jillmc, yours is beautiful. Never thought of using black. Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 PM

This is the layout my mil used for the wedding quilts she made for us (her son is my DH) and my sil (her daughter). Picture is of the one she made for my sil in 1975.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 AM

Here's what I'm doing...just off the top of my head and many pics...I've made a good amount of rosettes..center, one row of print, next row of complimentary solid. I am now adding white paths......and building top.....I encircled one rosette completely with white..then took another rosette and attached...NOTE: make sure you line up correctly.....then I am adding path around that second rosette where there is none; attach another rosette to path and fill in again.......on and on ( I hope)......
Old 04-18-2015, 05:03 AM

Go to paperpieces.com - there are several pattern downloads that include answer to your question. I am working on one - love it but it does take time. Have fun.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:18 AM
shy

I have made many hex quilts..never used a pattern..the size and number depends on the size of your hex..how big u want it ..using graft paper can help u see what u have in mind..or like I do..I just make one . To see..I sew it together as I go..I don't make many hexes then .sew them ..it is more interesting to me to see the growing of the quilt as I go..usually I decide the length..make a row and move to the next..unless u are doing a picture from hexes a pattern isn't really needed..but u can go to pinrest..and put in hex quilts ..u will get all kinds of pictures
Old 04-18-2015, 05:54 AM

One more, it depends on the size of your rosette and how many rows it has. Some only have a center and one row, some have center and many rows. I would sew 6 and see if it works, if not add 2 more on that first one. That should give you the answer for the rest.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Hi Quilter65, You are right! If it fits together it sews together! I think a perfect referenct for you to learn the basics of putting all different types of GFGS and other shapes of hand piecing, Sue Daley is Queen. Sue Daley of Busyfingers is located in Austalia and has shapes in some LQS just look her up on line and watch her videos on Youtube.