Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops >

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

question - hand quilting large quilts in hoops

Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Just to throw another opinion in the mix -- I don't use a hoop when I hand quilt. I do, however, spray baste the heck out of it :lol: and then start in the middle and work out...
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by alderdweller
Thank you for the welcome and I'm happy to hear it can be done!
Do you pin your quilts, use basting spray or what?
I almost have a quilt done that I was thinking about trying FMQ on, but just cannot get the hang of it well enough that I want to risk it on my this quilt.
I've been wanting to try hand quilting anyway, so now I'm excited about the possibilities!
I did a queen size and spray baste it. I will not use a spray for hand quilting again, the needle dose not want to go through the spray. I had to pull hard to get the needle to go thru.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 AM

I wish I had paid more attention to my mom's quilting when I was growing up :(
The only time she ever used a frame was when she helped my aunt's do their quilting.
And I know she didn't use a hoop...but she hand pieced and quilted hers. For some reason, I just don't recall exactly how she did it.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 AM

thanks for all the help
Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM

I recently got back into hand quilting and bought a 14" Barnett lap hoop. I was also tired of spending my time away from the family, and having the hoop has been so much fun. Quilting is now more relaxing and less rushed because hubby's not complaining I'm away from him. He watches TV and I quilt. The perfect compromise! This hoop is nice because it takes the weight of the quilt off my hands, and puts it into the perfect position to just sit and stitch.

I'm planning on doing a queen size once I finished my lap size that I'm working on. I like basting with safety pins (remove them as I go and never put my hoop over them) because I feel it's more secure since the quilt's moved around a lot, but I know several quilters think thread basting's the way to go.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 AM

I'm sorry, one other thing. Maybe I will get my act together and do one posting. The hoop that you use is important. It must not bend because the quilt will slip in it. My hoop is very rigid, will not bend. I purchased it from my LQS who in turn bought it from F A Edmunds. I have a plastic rectangular hoop and it is OK but I prefer a round wooden one. This rectangular one is good if I am working in straight lines. But if you are going to constantly be turning, a round one is better. I have yet to see a satisfactory hoop at Joanns or Hobby Lobby.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM

I did some hand quilting in a hoop several years back. I had machine SID on the blocks and that held everything in place. Then I did a pattern inside the blocks. It wasn't difficult. I've never tried doing a queen or kin with a small hoop. Make sure and show us how it turns out..... and Welcome from Michigan as well.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 AM

I am wondering, is it possible to quilt large (queen size) quilts in a lap hoop?
I have never hand quilted, but am thinking I would love to try this to give me something to do while *watching* tv with hubby. I feel badly about spending ALL my time with my machines, but usually when I'm doing the tv time, my mind is often quilting :P
Do any of you hand-quilters do it this way?
I am just starting to quilt my 4th quilt by hand. All three previous ones (all queen size) were done using a hoop on my lap. Worked wonderfully on all of them. Also allows me to "watch" tv with the family while doing something I love.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM

but am thinking I would love to try this to give me something to do while *watching* tv with hubby. I feel badly about spending ALL my time with my machines, but usually when I'm doing the tv time, my mind is often quilting :P
That's one of the reasons I started quilting - I can be with my husband and get something done at the same time. There are movies I've "watched" where I've never seen some of the action, LOL.

It's a wonderful, cozy thing to do during the winter. I use a floor frame for most of my quilting, but when it gets cold there are days when I really wish I could quilt in a hoop just to be warm. I have hoops that are 14", 18" and 22" - I used the biggest one on large quilts so I wouldn't have to move the hoop so often. And I thread basted because I hate pinning.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Banned

You can quilt any size quilt in a hoop. My only advice for this is to choose a hoop size where you can reach the middle of the hoop when you place the inner side of your elbow at the edge of the hoop. If you have to reach to feel the needle come through it will be very tiring and uncomfortable ti quilt.
That being said, I have quit using a hoop. I thread baste and quilt hoopless in my lap. Much easier for me and much less pain. You hold the needle as if hand piecing and move the quilt on to the needle instead of pushing the needle through the quilt.