Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question...I may have hit the jackpot

How lucky!

I agree with making a quilt for him with some of the fabric. A small way to thank the generous donor and a wonderful memory back to him!

Wow. that is the ultimate jackpot! How kind of him!

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful man to give it all to you. Do you see a quilt in his future.. What a nice way to say thank you. If he does not like quilts, how about donating a quilt in his, his wife, and her mother's name?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I would take the better quality cottons and let the rest be donated. That is a lot of fabric to store just because it's free.
    I absolutely agree! I know some ladies that have more fabric than they can use in a lifetime and just because he's giving you first choice isn't a reason to go hog wild. I use only high quality cottons...have learned the hard way not to use poor quality. Donating is a great thing to do with what doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Would he enjoy having a quilt made from some of it, in memory of his wife and mother? I think I'd do that as a "thank you".
    I like that idea.
    what a blessing you have. use it well and donate anything you can't use, I am sure he would like that,

Wow! What a jack-pot!

If it were me, I'd take the whole lot and, once home, take my time going through it all. When decided what to keep, donate the rest to a quilting club. Do this poor man a favor and help him to clean out by taking it all off his hands. Let him know what you plan to do with what you don't keep. It'll give him some peace of mind knowing his loved ones source of joy is being passed on to do more good.

You are soooo lucky. DEB

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Take it all, and then sell what you don't want. After you cover expenses of selling, donate the profit to a charity of his choice...

Sounds like you've hit the jackpot! :)
    I think this is a wonderful idea!

That's very generous of him to do that for you. He's probably overwhelmed with "stuff" and be glad that you are helping him get rid of some of it. Been there. Still have some of my MIL's possessions that we don't know what to do with. Some is just clutter to me but my husband thinks some it has some monetary value...after of course we sorted for keepsakes and special memory things.

Take meee! I could be in Charleston in,,,um, 3 days if I hurry! Wait up, K?

Take it all...then have fun sorting

Exciting!

take it all, then what you will not use you can either donate or sell, then if sold donate to the ladies who have gone favorite's charity, ask schools, ask womens shelters, ask ask ask, the fabric was given to you, it is yours to do as you please, but if someone could benefit for what you do not want or will not use, well, it is good for the community and good karma

just my opinion,

jan in florida

My first thought was, "Take it all so you can help the man out by donating what you don't want to a good charity." I see others have had the same comments. He deserves for you to give him a hand with handling the remainder of the stuff, since he was so generous and kind to you...

definately, that is the first project I will complete with the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Would he enjoy having a quilt made from some of it, in memory of his wife and mother? I think I'd do that as a "thank you".

If you give some away, your local chapter of Quilts for Kids or Project Linus might be interested in it. You can find your local chapter by googling either.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Take it all, and then sell what you don't want. After you cover expenses of selling, donate the profit to a charity of his choice...

Sounds like you've hit the jackpot! :)
    This sounds like a great idea! Go for it! You've certainly been blessed!

oh my be greedy take it all. Than you can take your time and sort what you want. Than donate donate donate. Even sell some if you like.
    I know I for one who are making quilts for veterans are always looking for donations and fabric people are willing to sell cheaper than we can buy them. Churches alot of them have ladies groups who make quilts for the homeless in just any kind of fabric that is donated to them.
    Lots of way to part with what you don't need.
    And to be honest Goodwill at least around here prices are crazy. They charge more than the discounts store charge for the fabric per yardage.
    I use to danate to them alot till I seen prices of clothes there and other items. Now I donate to the Hospitals resale shop. Not only do they have really cheap prices they donate the items to the shelter here after a certain amount of time.

I would make him a memory pillow or quilt with some of her fabrics or clothing. How sweet of him to share the fabric with you.
    Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmaof5
    What a blessing!
    Take what you need and will use, and let him donate to his favorite charity.
    Ditto:-)

We had a gal in our Guild pass away this year. Her husband offered us all of her fabrics,supplies, etc. We took the projects she was working on, completed them and gave them back to the family as a rememberance. The rest of the fabric is going to be used for charity quilts. Books were donated in her name to the local library. Her machine went to her daughter. We now share fond memories of a dear friend as we sew with the fabric she loved so much. The charity quilts are given in her memory.

Yes, you did.

Blog Entries
    I agree with some of the others..If he will allow you to take it all, then it will be up to you to donate to the best places after you sort through. Will take some effort on your part but will be worth it. Do we get a peek when the 'stash' gets back to your house?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast