Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a question i'm always asked >

a question i'm always asked

a question i'm always asked

Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 AM

Some quilts work up so quickly, and I stay on them and finish them fairly fast. Some quilts I started 6 or 7 years ago and still haven't finished them. I did just finish one that I started over 3 years ago, and boy was I proud. "It all depends" is the only simple answer I can think of.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
"Longer than you think!"
This is pretty much my response as well.

When people ask "how much does a quilt cost?" I answer that a good-sized queen sized quilt, using first quality cotton/batting/thread, plus sewing/quilting time, runs around $400. This opens many eyes, for sure, and they learn in that second that quilts aren't typically "just whipped up."

I put a lot of thought and top quality workmanship and materials into any quilt I make both before and during the process of making it. No, you ain't comparing one of my quilts to any K-Mart or JCPenneys Special Shipment Quilt Set for $49.95.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 AM

I say if I was being paid for my time and love that I put into a quilt no one could aford to purchase one.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Originally Posted by amma
I tell them that each quilt is unique, and that I never know how long it will take until it is finished. :D:D:D
Great answer, this is pretty much what I say.:)
This is what I would say also.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:51 AM

My Answer, One day to several months and, sorry, I don't do commisson quilts for family or friends.

If gal is your DD's best friend you'll probably make her a quilt at some time but you decide when.

I can zip though charity quilts but really postpone quilts for family, friends and challenges. Been working on my DIL's queen quilt top for months and keep putting it off day after day. It isn't a difficult quilt to make and I'm going to have it quilted so what's my problem? Don't know so that's why I answered as I did. Learned my lesson, won't take on a commission quilt again. DIL paying for all the materials and I'm having it quilted as her and my son's 30th anniversary gift. Anniversary is end of August so I think I'll have it done before then. She said to take my time but I haven't heard from her in awhile so maybe I'm taking too much time.

DGD's engagement gift from me was to be a quilt. I finished in early March but for some reason or another never got it to the quilter until yesterday afternoon. It's a little late because DGD got married last Sept. and is expecting a baby end of August. After I finish DIL's quilt top I'm beginning quilted for my expected great grandchild so it will be done before the baby arrives, LOL! May in Jersey
Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 AM

When we done a quilt for our church we kept track of the hours. It took roughly 100 hours and 50 of that was all the hand quilting. It was queen sized.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM

On the average, I try to think about how much time it takes me to cut it, piece it, iron it, quilt it and the time it takes me to hand-sew the binding!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

In case they are asking because they want me to make them one I tell them between 80 and 120 hours, so that they know that if we were talking how much they should pay me for it it would be more than lunch.

My dad asks me this question once a week it seems, he wants me to "go into business" and is always telling me that I could be faster. I always tell him "frantic is not fun."
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM

You know, it took at least 25 hours to FMQ the quilt for auction for Joy Ranch. I would say total time spent on a queen quilt sampler with everything would be about 60 hours. Now, $10 an hour for just labor (that is cheap considering you pay some attorney $150 an hour) and then take in the cost of the equipment usage, as well as the fabric and that quilt in my eyes is worth about $1000. at least. Regular people are so use to "bargain made" items, that they would freak out to pay what we have into any quilts.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM

My dentist asked me that question the other day. It's really hard to explain to someone that doesn't quilt. He was being nice. He asks about my husbands fishing also.