Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question For Long Arm Quilters >

Question For Long Arm Quilters

Question For Long Arm Quilters

Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 AM

Default Question For Long Arm Quilters

Those of you who long arm as a business what do you charge for quilting tops, loading it, threads you use, patterns you use, binding, etc.

I guess I'm asking for a break down for each service you offer to get that quilt completed.

I have been reading online through out the country what some are charging for each service which stems from 1 cent per square inch to 3 cents per square inch for quilting a top.

One lady charges 20 cents per square inch to do a binding while others have a flat fee depending on size of quilt.

Some charge a fee to load it up and some don't!

Some charge a fee per bobbin used to quilt a top!

Some charge by the hour and some by the job and size of a quilt.

Those of you who have computerized long arms what do you charge compared to long arms that are not computerized.

I'm curious to hear why you charge what you do and what type services you offer besides quitling a top only.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM

I charge .01 per square inch. No other charges, except for binding. For binding I charge .10 per inch if machine sewen, .30 if hand sewen. My quilting is all free motion. I only quilt for a couple of people as it is not my favorite thing to do for other people. I'd rather them rent time on my LAM. I can't imagine charging for loading the quilt. In my opion that would be part of the cost. How else would you quilt unless you loaded it? I have thought of charging per bobbin instead of going up on my per inch charge. I'm just glad to get the business. Right now I am swamped with my clients trying to get everything finished before Christmas. I'll be interested to see some of the other answers.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM

I charge 1.5 cents per square inch for the quilting; pantograph or free motion; more if it's some type of custom work. I include the thread in that fee unless again, the customer wants something out of the ordinary. I don't usually do binding but if someone asked, that would be again more than that price. I am just getting started and I have a lot to learn about the whole thing too but it's not easy work I will say that much. I can't believe how much to learn and it's time consuming as well. Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 PM

I charge less than others in our area.
I charge $.01 psi for basic meandering
$.015 for freestyle and edge to edge.
Semi Custom and Custom is $.020 to $.025 psi
I charge $8.00 for thread (that will be going up soon) and I charge for batting.
I don't do binding ---
I also require return postage fees.

I have yet to make minimum wage!!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 PM

I've only been LA quilting for a year. I started out charging $.015 psi, but I have since gone up to $.02 psi. I charge $6 per spool for white/black/beige threads.....$10 per spool for color/variegated/specialty threads. I will use the batting provided or I will charge for 100% cotton batting (depending on the size of the project between $16-$25); machine binding is $25.00 and hand binding is $45.00. I am surprised at how cheaply I can do this work. Most of my projects are vintage quilts and require squaring up and sometimes even mending. I would have paid a lot more to have this done by a stranger.....and now that I think about it, I may go up on prices again! We are worth it!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 AM

I charge $.015 per square inch for a pantograph plus a $5.00 thread charge and $.15 per linear foot for Hobbs 80/20 batting (if the customer does not supply batting). Others in my area may charge slightly more but they are more experienced. Custom work starts at $.02 per square inch. I do not provide a binding service.