Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: question from my grandma

Ones own saliva will remove blood the best but not sure if it will work after it has dried. I was reassured this trick by an olde quilter and said to her i thought I was imagining that it worked when I did it by accident one day. She told me NOPE it is the only way to get blood out since it has the enzymes.

as a nurse - we just hydrogen peroxide

If it has dried...use peroxide...make sure you place something on the back of the material, white towel, before doing so...then rub gently, you may have to do it a few times, then rinse so there is no residue of the blood left....try not to let it dry out before you get all the stain out, Hope it works for her...
    Kitty

Good suggestions, all. I would try saliva first if the spots are small. Try peroxide or ask the hospital.

A friend of mine bought me this little bottle of "Grandma's Secret Spot Remover" at the LQS. Works like a charm on most anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dEECA View Post
    I just removed some blood spots from a quilt with Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton ball. It came out real easy.
    Yes, that works and will not bleach fabrics.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Blog Entries
    I was a professional dressmaker for more than 40 years. I made dozens pf wedding dresses and always bled on them. Scarey huh? I used my own saliva to get the blood out (while it was fresh). Your own saliva will remove your blood because of some enzyme that's in the saliva. Doesn't work on someone else's bloods. Good luck!
    Happy Quilting
    Love in Christ
    Suzi

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fred singer View Post
    wow I'll have to remember that information for some reason I was thinking cold salt water
    Salt and selzer water is to take out red wine.
    I use Oxy Clean for the blood.

Her saliva may not work as well when the item has dried. And it my be frustrating for her to do this. I like the Q-Tip and dabbing at her blood with peroxide. Or start with peroxide/water mix.

That's right A person's own saliva gets their own blood out! Cool!
    Peace/Piece,

Your own saliva. I learned this in a Stretch 'n Sew class long time ago.

saliva works because it has enzymes in it that begin the digestive process, and break it down. it goes for the cellular structure, and will loosen the blood, but if it stays there long enough, it will still stain fabric. blood has an iron content. when it is exposed to oxygen, it begins to oxidize, creating, effectively, rust. but yup. spit as a frist line of defense is best! just be sure it is your own blood if there is any kind of chance of contamination. somebody else's blood is considered to be hazardous waste!
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Blog Entries
    I just removed some blood spots from a quilt with Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton ball. It came out real easy.
    Yep, that's the best way. Blot, don't rub. And be careful not to get it on the color parts as it might fade the colors.
    The Quilting Bear

As a retired RN I can say this really works. It may take more than once. Back in the "dark ages" I'd have to launder my own scrubs & often they would have blood on them. Just a job hazard. Then the hospital took that job over

Blog Entries
    just as a note-- saliva breaks down proteins in food. blood is a protein and part of meat, and therefore needs to be broken down to be digested. the saliva is the first 'chemical' in the process. it's not a great idea any more to mess with others' blood, but technically your spit will break it down also.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    just as a note-- saliva breaks down proteins in food. blood is a protein and part of meat, and therefore needs to be broken down to be digested. the saliva is the first 'chemical' in the process. it's not a great idea any more to mess with others' blood, but technically your spit will break it down also, as it will break down cow, chicken or other animal blood. handy stuff.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Have her take her own saliva and rub it on the spot. Quilters do this when they prick their fingers in hand quilting. But it has to be her saliva.

Quote Originally Posted by ejpkam View Post
    My grandma is very sick and in the hospital. She took her embroidery work and is finishing a tablerunner and accidently got some spots of blood on it from her IV line. She is very upset and doesnt know how to get it out and feels it is ruined. It was gonna be a present for my sibling. I told her I would ask you sweet people if you had any ideas on how to remove blood stains from very white embroidery linens.
    Thank you very much it is much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I am so glad I read this post. I never dreamed someones saliva could take out their own blood stains. I'm constantlty pricking my finger and getting little specks of blood on my quilt. Hope grandma gets well soon!!!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Blog Entries
    Whether you use saliva or peroxide make sure you have a clean white cloth underneath to absorb. I think this is key in the stain not just continuing to spread as you dab at it. Don't rub. Dab in circular motions. The sooner the better, too.

Blog Entries
    Hydrogen peroxide is the answer. It has worked on anything I have tried.

Oh my your own saliva(spit) takes it out -- only your own will work on your own blood ! A fellow quilter taught me this and it has worked every time !

i heard that about your own saliva but have never tried it, i use shout on the spot

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
    For future reference -

This sounds unusual, but is an OLD trick...
    When you prick your finger and get blood on what you are working on, use a little of your own saliva on the spot immediately. For some reason, it takes out the spot.
    EXACTLY! I can't tell you how many times I've pricked my finger doing hand sewing & just used my Mother's solution of saliva. But it has to be saliva from the same person that the blook belongs to! But it works like a charm!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I worked in a hemodialysis unit for 11 years. We always used full strength peroxide followed by a clear water rinse for all our "blood" issues. Worked every time.

oxyclean laundry stain remover spray. stuff works great. have used it alot of blod. always stabbing my fingers with needles LOL!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast