Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Question for quilter's on work I had done.

I am not a longarm quilter, I do all mine on my sewing machine, but I have to say these look awful! It looks to me like her tension is off and I too would take them back and have her re-do them at NO CHARGE!

And I agree, the leaves look like hearts to me too, but I can't critize her as I can't make leaves either. :oops:

After I followed the good suggestions we get here, I would talk to the store owner. Did the owner know what was going on and let it happen in their store? Bad business. If she doesn't know she needs to find out. That could ruin her business if she is working out of her shop.

[quote=Boxer mom]I had two of my quilts quilted by a lady at a LQS, she informed me she was not a pro but said she does a good job. I got then both back in about a week and a half to 2 weeks, now I thought this was kinda fast. She brought them to my house and while looking at them when she was here I noticed alot of loose threads that she did not cut off and some birds nest. Some of you may remember the southwestern one I was making for my mother-in-law, well this was one of the quilts. Then when I went to trim off the edges to put the boarder on, the batting as you go down to the bottom of the quilt started shifting to one side so I now need to add to the edge of the batting to make it go to the edge of the top.

The second one which is mine looks bad, like a rush job and there is even some white thread on the edge of the back and it can be seen coming threw the top side. (she must have ran out of the maroon) I paid her $265 for both, good price, but I feel I should take mine back to her and have her take out the white thread and put in the maroon I asked for. The pattern is supose to be leaves and at first I thought they were hearts.

Do I have the right and am I in the right to ask her to do this?

I will never use her again by the way.[/quote)

I know you have received many answers already but I want to tell you that I have had quilts done for $130., $150., and the work is sooooooooooooo much nicer and fuller. I would go back to her, not with anger, but ask to go over this with her. She is charging high prices and should do a better, fuller and more professional job. There was probably an assumption on your part that she would be better and she probably doesn't realize what she lacks, especially for that price. If you do not go back, she will continue to disappoint people which is not fair to you or to them, or to her, in the long run, because she will lose her business and more importantly, her reputation. It is a good lesson for us all to see what work a person does for what amount. Samples are always a good thing to look at. In that way, you can be sure to get what you expect and she can do right by each client. Please go back, gently, and help you and help her to learn the right way. I'm sorry you had to go through this. It's hard to be gently confrontational but please take my hugs with you and work it out. You will never feel good if you go away without seeing if it can be rectified. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    Agree with most others ... way too expensive for this "quality"
    workmanship. And even if stitching tension seems correct to
    the quilter, I find it is best to use same color thread on top
    and backing side. But "birdnests and loose threads" are
    an absolute no,no... even for a beginner!
    So is $265 too much for both the quilts?
    I thought it sounded pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by carolyne2421
    was that amount of money for just quilting??if so that is a lot of money,,i quilt for myself and my mom and i have done quilting for a coupleof people and i have only charged them 100.00 each quilt and i furnished the batting,,,,she made a lot and did a bad job
    It was $265 for both and I furnished the batting and she put together the backing on one.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I know but her prices weren't exactly "amateur", you know???
    I agree completey this was amateur work at pro pricing. The quilting design was nothing ...special , definately amateur. I have paid less for much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer mom
    Quote Originally Posted by carolyne2421
    was that amount of money for just quilting??if so that is a lot of money,,i quilt for myself and my mom and i have done quilting for a coupleof people and i have only charged them 100.00 each quilt and i furnished the batting,,,,she made a lot and did a bad job
    It was $265 for both and I furnished the batting and she put together the backing on one.
    When I give my work to my lovely quilting lady, I give her the top, the backing and she uses her batting. She doesn't do an overall free hand quitling, she does each box, or area separately to match what's going on. I would say, for what she did with yours, if it was what you wanted, $65....$75 would be a more realistic price per quilt. She did a general quilting with not a very full stitching. It couldn't have taken a very long time to do. My opinion though. When you go to someone, you need to see samples and strike a deal based on those.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer mom
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    Agree with most others ... way too expensive for this "quality"
    workmanship. And even if stitching tension seems correct to
    the quilter, I find it is best to use same color thread on top
    and backing side. But "birdnests and loose threads" are
    an absolute no,no... even for a beginner!
    So is $265 too much for both the quilts?
    I thought it sounded pretty good to me.
    Depending on the size of the quilts and the geographical area $265 may or may not be a good price. In my locality this pattern (The Ivy Vine by Norma Wood - I think) would cost about .009 cents per square inch. However, other localities may run higher or lower. I believe that the quilters on the west coast and northern states do earn more per square inch.

She needs to make it right for you- TAKE IT BACK - and do not feel BAD. Remember YOU are the customer!

Thank you, my problem is I don't have the money to have it redone, I have another one (the African one) being done at another LQS by a pro and it is going to cost just over $200 so I am saving up for that one.[/quote]

You should not have to pay her to redo it, since she didn't do it properly the first time. Or she should refund your movey and you can use that to have them redone.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Thank you, my problem is I don't have the money to have it redone, I have another one (the African one) being done at another LQS by a pro and it is going to cost just over $200 so I am saving up for that one.
    You should not have to pay her to redo it, since she didn't do it properly the first time. Or she should refund your movey and you can use that to have them redone.[/quote]

Whatever happens, you need to go to her and express your disappointment. You don't know if she will be responsive to it or not but at least say what needs to be said and give her a chance to make it right. She just might do that!

Blog Entries
    I am sorry you had this happen. I would offer to buy the lady some coffee and maybe offer to work through the problems. You could maybe suggest a discount, and together take out the first stitching. Unstitching is a hard lesson to learn, but we have all had to learn it. I would handle it as kindly and firmly as possible. If she works in the LQS she will want happy customers.
    I once had a cover built on my patio, and had to be out of town while the work was done. When I came home, I had a good long cry, then called the contractor over for coffee. I calmly explained that "he could not possibly be proud of this job", and "here were pictures for him so he can see the errors that were made during construction". Worked like a charm. I was so pleased by the redo (He had hired a kid to help the first time), that I typed him a letter of reference. I still have a beautiful patio cover. Grandma always said 'you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar' Good luck with this.

It does look like a tension problem, but she should have tested her machine before starting the project.

I would talk to her about the quality of her work and request that she either make the repairs or discount the entire job since you are not satisfied. She should also understand that if you are not happy with her work making good on it would help settle differences between the both of you. This could make or break future business since most people will only go to somone that is highly recommended. If she discounds the job, learn from this mistake and ask, ask and ask questions when looking for another quilter. This time ask to see her work before putting your quilts in her hands.

Your MIL will love the quilt regardless so don't point out the problems you had since she may not even notice them.

Good luck and please keep us informed on how this matter was resolved. Hopefully you won't have the same problem next time.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I never saw leaves like that anywhere. Wow, I feel like you got ripped off big time. I agree with the poster who said that you need to be a pro to do work of this nature and she clearly isn't one yet. You need to talk to her at once. :(
    I have leaves on several of my trees that are exactly like that. So, I guess it just depends on where you're located as to whether they look like leaves to you. However in regard to the thread colors and the bunched up thread on the back, that's totally unprofessional. Take them back and pray that she can fix them. Next time you need a quilter, ask to look at some work she/he has done. Or speak to people who have used this person before, and are completely satisfied with their work. I learned of my long arm quilter through my guild which is a good way to find one, if you belong to a guild.

8-)

Can't believe she charged that much for such a simple pantograph. The first one doesn't even look like a panto - just a variation of a meander. That heart/leaves pattern was the first one I ever used when I took a long-arm quilting class. Good luck and hopefully, if she values your business, she will make it right.

I just learned how to make those "leaves" they are called
    Celtic leaves. It is fairly simple and, done right, they look pretty good. I also know how to make hearts but I like the leaves better...they still look a little like hearts LOL. I think the bottom thread should match the rest of the piece. Looks like she ran out of the maroon and decided to just finish it up with whatever she had on hand. Lesson learned...don't pay for it if you're not satisfied.

Boxer Mom--just curious if you have been back to talked to the quilter and what the outcome was.

Quote Originally Posted by hcarpanini
    Quilting for others is probably one of the most stressful things I do. But the satisfaction I get when I am finished makes it all worth while. When a customer says "do whatever", is my "whatever" acceptable to her? I have been quilting for hire for six years now and with every quilt, I do feel as if I improve. But to get to where I am now, it took quite a bit of time and practice.
    Tension can make or break a quilt. It is obvious she had issues with her tension. I never would have been satisfied letting that out my door.
    I am at a loss as to advise you what to do. Did you see her work before you became her customer? Did you discuss this before you paid her? If you did not she may have thought you were satisfied. This may be one of those times where you just take it out and have it redone by someone else and just not go back to her again.
    Please let us know how you resolve this. Sorry I can't be more help.
    I would ask for money back and request her to pick out the stitches with the white showing...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4