Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for quilter's on work I had done. >

Question for quilter's on work I had done.

Question for quilter's on work I had done.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

I am sorry but $265 seems a lot for this very bad job. I would probably ask for a refund and take out the quilts myself.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Dee

I would take them back and have them redone or at least refund you half of the amount you paid. If she will be going pro she has to do a lot better then that.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM

I only take one quilt to a new quilter. Also one that is not to be a gift. That way if it turns out unprofessional, I know not to use that one again, and I haven't risked more than one project.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Take them back and ask her to fix them. I think you paid a lot of money for what she did. I'd look around and ask for references for someone else. I think I could have done that and I don't even pretend to say I am a machine quilter.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:08 PM

That's a lot of money for quilting that is "no big deal". Sorry. I'm just being honest.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

I am not a longarm quilter, I do all mine on my sewing machine, but I have to say these look awful! It looks to me like her tension is off and I too would take them back and have her re-do them at NO CHARGE!

And I agree, the leaves look like hearts to me too, but I can't critize her as I can't make leaves either. :oops:
Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 AM

After I followed the good suggestions we get here, I would talk to the store owner. Did the owner know what was going on and let it happen in their store? Bad business. If she doesn't know she needs to find out. That could ruin her business if she is working out of her shop.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:52 AM

[quote=Boxer mom]I had two of my quilts quilted by a lady at a LQS, she informed me she was not a pro but said she does a good job. I got then both back in about a week and a half to 2 weeks, now I thought this was kinda fast. She brought them to my house and while looking at them when she was here I noticed alot of loose threads that she did not cut off and some birds nest. Some of you may remember the southwestern one I was making for my mother-in-law, well this was one of the quilts. Then when I went to trim off the edges to put the boarder on, the batting as you go down to the bottom of the quilt started shifting to one side so I now need to add to the edge of the batting to make it go to the edge of the top.

The second one which is mine looks bad, like a rush job and there is even some white thread on the edge of the back and it can be seen coming threw the top side. (she must have ran out of the maroon) I paid her $265 for both, good price, but I feel I should take mine back to her and have her take out the white thread and put in the maroon I asked for. The pattern is supose to be leaves and at first I thought they were hearts.

Do I have the right and am I in the right to ask her to do this?

I will never use her again by the way.[/quote)

I know you have received many answers already but I want to tell you that I have had quilts done for $130., $150., and the work is sooooooooooooo much nicer and fuller. I would go back to her, not with anger, but ask to go over this with her. She is charging high prices and should do a better, fuller and more professional job. There was probably an assumption on your part that she would be better and she probably doesn't realize what she lacks, especially for that price. If you do not go back, she will continue to disappoint people which is not fair to you or to them, or to her, in the long run, because she will lose her business and more importantly, her reputation. It is a good lesson for us all to see what work a person does for what amount. Samples are always a good thing to look at. In that way, you can be sure to get what you expect and she can do right by each client. Please go back, gently, and help you and help her to learn the right way. I'm sorry you had to go through this. It's hard to be gently confrontational but please take my hugs with you and work it out. You will never feel good if you go away without seeing if it can be rectified. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
Agree with most others ... way too expensive for this "quality"
workmanship. And even if stitching tension seems correct to
the quilter, I find it is best to use same color thread on top
and backing side. But "birdnests and loose threads" are
an absolute no,no... even for a beginner!
So is $265 too much for both the quilts?
I thought it sounded pretty good to me.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by carolyne2421
was that amount of money for just quilting??if so that is a lot of money,,i quilt for myself and my mom and i have done quilting for a coupleof people and i have only charged them 100.00 each quilt and i furnished the batting,,,,she made a lot and did a bad job
It was $265 for both and I furnished the batting and she put together the backing on one.

FREE Quilting Newsletter