Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question/survey......

Banned
    I'm usually working on 3 or 4 quilts at the same time.
    I cut for a few blocks on one, sew them up and then do the same for a different quilt.

I cut some and then piece some. I never cut the binding or the borders until the top is done. I've been known to change my mind on the sizes of the borders and bindings.

I cut everything first. Since cutting is, by far, my least favorite part of making the quilt, I like to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I like to cut a few at a time. That way you can make changes as you go. You may want to change the border or change the size of the quilt.

I usually cut everything out and use my design wall to determine whether to use sashing or not. As I make the blocks, I store the rest in zip-lock bags so I don't lose anything while the work is in progress.

It depends. If it is a purchased pattern: 1) Hard to assemble - I cut out of scraps (including old sheetings etc) to test the pattern. 2) Easier to assemble - I cut a few out of the fabric and assemble them to make sure the pattern is true and then I cut out everything and sit and sew everything. I always save borders for last as I sometimes change my mind.

If I created the pattern - I do a test block (out of Christmas fabric - I use the test block to make a potholder and gift it or donate it) and then I cut it all out etc.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Blog Entries
    If a new to me block pattern I make one to be sure I know how to make it, then I cut and sew in stages, working from the center out.

I also use the "let's see what happens" method

I have to keep moving due to back problems, so I cut a block, sew a block, cut a block, sew a block. It works for me and keeps me doing what I love with a whole lot less pain! :-) Living in a motorhome, I quilt from my recliner with my machine in front of me on a wooden TV tray. Couldn't keep track of more pieces than that because I'm always picking up & putting things away to eat, then getting set up again; takes up whole aisle so foot traffic is a problem, etc.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

If I have done the pattern before, I will cut everything - love to have the binding all cut - pressed, etc. ready to go when I am ready. If I have not done the pattern before, I will cut what I consider half and see how the fabric is coming out. If I think I am going to have many scraps, I want them to be big scraps instead of specifically cut pieces. That way I have more choices with the "leftovers".

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I always cut the whole quilt out at the beginning. I have quite a few UFOs that are all cut out and ready to be sewn. I like the cutting part a lot, so I guess that's why I, at least, cut everything out before I change my mind and start on something else.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I cut enough for one block and make a sample to be sure it has the look I want. If I'm happy with it I cut the rest of the blocks. This is important to in case the pattern directions have an error. Then I cut sashing when the blocks are done. Then the borders. That way everything fits together well.

I have cut borders first when I want to use the length of the fabric instead of the width, such as directional fabrics. I usually cut a few strips, see how they go together, see how the math is working on material needed. I hate getting near the end and realizing I don't have enough fabric to finish.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
    I cut the blocks first, and then make sure I like the sashings/borders I was going to use..Many times I end up changing how the quilt will be constructed while working..
    Yep... that's my method, too. I learned my lesson the hard way re cutting EVERYTHING out at the first. I mis-read the directions & ended up with a gazillion pieces that were 1/2" too small... yikes!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

I don't really have a certain way to go. I usually cut out all the block fabrics and make the blocks; then play around with them and figure out if I want sashing, etc. Depending on the quilt pattern, sometimes I'll go ahead and cut sashing strips when I cut out the block pieces. If I have made the quilt before, I am more likely to cut everything at once. I usually don't cut border strips until the top is made and I can decide how I want it bordered. Not much help, am I? LOL.

Blog Entries
    I cut it all before I start sewing.

I do PPing and try to cut all little bitty pieces out first. Most of these patterns will give the cutting sizes and it does same a lot of time once the sewing begins.

It depends on my mood. I do make a few blocks quickly and then just keep checking it out. Sometimes I want to change something and if I had cut it all I couldn't.

Blog Entries
    All depends on what kind of quilt I'm making and what the directions tell me to do. If I've made the quilt before, and I can figure out a short cut, I take it. I do like to have things already cut out. That way if I'm walking through my sewing studio and I've got 5 minutes, I can squeeze in a little sewing time!
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    I'd be overwhelmed if I cut everything out first as I improvise a lot and seem to have an aversion to cutting into yardage - I work a lot with scraps. I have no color memory so I have to see it develop to decide what works well together.

Suzan
    (Maine)
    Choose to be happy

It depends on what pattern. For warm wishes or D9P, I cut all the pieces for the blocks. But I never cut the sashing, borders, or binding until I get to that point. Usually I don't even know for sure what I'll be using anyway, as I'm a visual person, and like to see how it looks as I go. Right now I'm working on a dresden, so I have all the blades cut, and I'm putting the plates together. Haven't even decided on the center yet. Have decided on background for plates, but haven't cut them yet. Just do what works for you! Happy quilting!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I cut the pieces for the blocks and sashings, sew them, and then cut for borders. I usually add or subtract blocks and rows, so I always wait to cut the borders. When I do appliqué, I cut those pieces, and sew them and then cut the rest. Of course, I've only done appliqué as a block, not over top of strips.
    Bobbi
    Quilting happily in Tennessee!

Having just completed my first full-sized (queen) top I cut some pieces and then had them sewn together as individual blocks. I then continued the same process until all the blocks were completed. Prior to that (for smaller projects) I cut the pieces first and then had them sewn all at once.

Blog Entries
    I cut the main body of the quilt and sew , then do the sashings borders later.
    TxCaRose

Blog Entries
    depending on the quilt pattern i'm using. If loads of pieces in block, i will cuta few t a time and sew them. I usually save sashing and borders til last but I check directions to see if cut from LOF or WOF and cut otehr pieces needed of that fabric rom only one side so that I keep full length of fabric if needed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast