Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question/survey...... >

Question/survey......

Question/survey......

Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 AM

It depends. If it is a purchased pattern: 1) Hard to assemble - I cut out of scraps (including old sheetings etc) to test the pattern. 2) Easier to assemble - I cut a few out of the fabric and assemble them to make sure the pattern is true and then I cut out everything and sit and sew everything. I always save borders for last as I sometimes change my mind.

If I created the pattern - I do a test block (out of Christmas fabric - I use the test block to make a potholder and gift it or donate it) and then I cut it all out etc.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:00 AM

If a new to me block pattern I make one to be sure I know how to make it, then I cut and sew in stages, working from the center out.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I also use the "let's see what happens" method
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 AM

I have to keep moving due to back problems, so I cut a block, sew a block, cut a block, sew a block. It works for me and keeps me doing what I love with a whole lot less pain! :-) Living in a motorhome, I quilt from my recliner with my machine in front of me on a wooden TV tray. Couldn't keep track of more pieces than that because I'm always picking up & putting things away to eat, then getting set up again; takes up whole aisle so foot traffic is a problem, etc.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 AM

If I have done the pattern before, I will cut everything - love to have the binding all cut - pressed, etc. ready to go when I am ready. If I have not done the pattern before, I will cut what I consider half and see how the fabric is coming out. If I think I am going to have many scraps, I want them to be big scraps instead of specifically cut pieces. That way I have more choices with the "leftovers".
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I always cut the whole quilt out at the beginning. I have quite a few UFOs that are all cut out and ready to be sewn. I like the cutting part a lot, so I guess that's why I, at least, cut everything out before I change my mind and start on something else.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 AM

I cut enough for one block and make a sample to be sure it has the look I want. If I'm happy with it I cut the rest of the blocks. This is important to in case the pattern directions have an error. Then I cut sashing when the blocks are done. Then the borders. That way everything fits together well.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 AM

I have cut borders first when I want to use the length of the fabric instead of the width, such as directional fabrics. I usually cut a few strips, see how they go together, see how the math is working on material needed. I hate getting near the end and realizing I don't have enough fabric to finish.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
I cut the blocks first, and then make sure I like the sashings/borders I was going to use..Many times I end up changing how the quilt will be constructed while working..
Yep... that's my method, too. I learned my lesson the hard way re cutting EVERYTHING out at the first. I mis-read the directions & ended up with a gazillion pieces that were 1/2" too small... yikes!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 AM

I don't really have a certain way to go. I usually cut out all the block fabrics and make the blocks; then play around with them and figure out if I want sashing, etc. Depending on the quilt pattern, sometimes I'll go ahead and cut sashing strips when I cut out the block pieces. If I have made the quilt before, I am more likely to cut everything at once. I usually don't cut border strips until the top is made and I can decide how I want it bordered. Not much help, am I? LOL.