Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question on these fancy computerized machines >
  • Question on these fancy computerized machines

• Question on these fancy computerized machines

Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM

I use a surger on all my machines but still unplug them when I leave the room...!!!! I have had to replace the mother board 2 times (not from lightening) and it cost me $ 500.00 each time......I will never buy another computerized machine...I am going back to NO computers in sewing machines....Don't get me wrong...I love my machines but can not afford to pay that kind of money anymore.....I have 4 computerized ones and when they go.....they won't be replaced or fixed ....I have already bought 2 used older machines getting ready......Here they charge $180.00 JUST to look at your machine even if they don't fix it ( if it is computerized)....Thats at an aurtherized dealer...
    Originally Posted by 02Lcdam
    I once had a power surge knock out a board on my Viking computerized machine and it was very expensive to replace. It really pays to use a surge protector and unplug during electrical storms. Not worth the grief and $ if something happens!
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    I have just acquired the Janome Horizon - computer boards and all. My question - aside from using a surge protector - do you use any other precautions for your machines? Would you continue to sew through a thunderstorm? Just wondering.
    Congratulations on your Janome Horizon! I bought one last year and love, love, love it.

LoriAnn
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:31 PM

I never do any sewing during electrical storms.
    When I'm not sewing, all my machines are unplugged as are all the irons.

Also, I never leave my toaster plugged in, and if it weren't for the timer on the coffee pot, it would also get unplugged.
    I do insist that it's unplugged when we leave the house for several days....had one short out and start grinding then overheat. Fortunately I was in the kitchen at the time and was able to unplug it. It probably would have started to burn otherwise...smelled the classis "overheated wire" odor.

Oh, I also get off the computer which I turn off during those stormy periods.
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM

I always unplug after using.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM

You all have shamed me. I also have a Horizon and I will now unplug my machine when I am not using it. As the saying goes it is better safe than sorry.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by klc
    Congrats on your new Horizon. I love mine! As for precautions I take (other than the surge protector), I unplug my machine during lightening storms. Do not use magnets near your machine. I was also told not to use canned air to clean out my machine (it is hard on the computer). As for any other things to do, just keep her clean of dust bunnies, use caution and gently clean as the auto thread cutter and other parts can get messed up. Go to classes and learn all you can about using your machine. Enjoy! They really are a wonderful machine.
    Pretty much what she said. I turn computers of all types and TV off during storms, whether wind, rain, or lightening. We have 'brown-outs' here in the country quite often, so we have good surge protectors on most everything. Still on teh lookout for a good treadle. You don't have to worry about thenm during a storm.
    Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 PM

I also own the Horizon, and keep it unplugged when not in use. Never use any electronics during a storm is my motto. You will just love quilting with that new machine....the room and the accufeed system is amazing! Enjoy
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 PM

If you are really worried about electricity problems, I would but a battery backup. They have built in surger protectors and they protect from brown outs. Damage can occur from both. That is why we have all our computers and TV on battery back ups. They are only around $100 and Best Buy usually has them on sale every now and then. If you are going to use a surge protect, don't but from dollar store, spend a few extra buck for a good one for the high price items and the dollar store brand for cheaper stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
    Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Only plugged in when in use.
    Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
    I don't use any electronic equipment or anything connected to plumbing during a storm. Surge protectors are not 100% reliable. Unplug your machine. :thumbup:
    Yes, good advice. I shut off everything during a thunderstorm, and I keep my sewing machines unplugged when I am not using them, even though I have powerful surge protectors.