Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about applique on a show quilt. >

Questions about applique on a show quilt.

Questions about applique on a show quilt.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Does a needle turned applique quilt need to be hand quilted?
No. Many of the winning applique quilts (needle turned or prepared applique) are machine quilted. Kathy McNeil has won loads of awards and ribbons on her quilts and they are machine quilted. Her applique technique is turned but I don't think it is needle turned. I believe she utilizes appliquick as her preferred method of preparing her applique pieces. Appliquick is an iron on foundation that you use to prepare your applique pieces. The edges are turned under but prior to appliqueing them to the quilt surface.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Does the competition have a different class from hand applique and machine stitched? If not, I would suggest to do turn under using freezer paper. I entered my quilts in competition and everything must be perfect especially the binding. At least that is how is was before 2002. Times may have changed. Good Luck.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:24 AM

Ladies thank you so much for answering my question. I really want to challenge myself and move beyond just making quilts that are easy. I really love applique quilts. I am going to use the freezer paper method and stitch by hand.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Yes, needle turn applique is exclusively a hand sewn method; it's called needle turn because you use the needle to turn the edge of the fabric under before taking a stitch to hold in place. However, you can do a turned edge applique design by machine by either gluing, pressing or sewing the edge under before machine stitching the turned edge. Typically this is done with either a buttonhole or a decorative stitch, but I suppose one could do it with a blind hem stitch. I wouldn't do a straight stitch with a turned edge unless there is some design reason for having a puffy edge to the applique.
Oops! I just realized this wasn't asking about hand applique, but hand quilting. No! It does not need to be hand quilted. In fact, more often than not, it is machine quilted in any of the major shows I've seen. I do my applique by hand using the needle turn method, but then quilt it FMQ on my DSM. I love all those beautiful detailed, intricate designs you can get on a machine. If they're even possible to do by hand, they would take years to quilt. There are categories for completely hand stitched quilts (applique/piecing & quilting), and there are a few shows that only take 100% hand stitched quilts, but they are the minority.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I saw a wall hanging at the show done with raw edge. It was lovely.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 PM

If you are going to hand applique using freezer paper, you may want to iron the freezer paper template to the front of the fabric. (Don't reverse it.) That's how I was taught and the paper is so much easier to remove when it's right on top.