Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about applique on a show quilt. >

Questions about applique on a show quilt.

Questions about applique on a show quilt.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:19 PM

Default Questions about applique on a show quilt.

My question is does applique need to be needle turned to win at quilt shows? I have only ever done applique that is fused and then stitched down with a straight stitch. Do I need to learn to do needle turned applique if I ever want to enter one into a show? I'm getting ready to start a major applique quilt and am hoping to enter it into some quilt shows it it turns out well.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:26 PM

No, it doesn't have to be needleturned. I believe Ricky Tims' quilts are raw edge applique, with a buttonhole stitch around the raw edges.

Good luck!

Janet
Old 02-21-2016, 06:01 PM

I agree with Janet. Just make sure to window your fusible so it's not so stiff.
Also wanted to mention that most of the quilts I've ever seen win major shows were not done needle turn. They were, however, done with a turned edge. There are plenty of different methods out there for that from freezer paper to AppliQuick to Applipiecing and so forth, plus the ones where you use water soluble stabilizer on the back to create a pillowcase edge. All of those can be done by machine.

If you really want to stick with the true raw edge design using the straight stitch in a juried show, I would suggest maybe brushing or otherwise distressing the edges so it's clear that it was done for artistic purposes to create that frayed/fuzzy look. Having a raw edge with just one or two stray threads here or there might not read as a design choice in a juried show. That said, if it's not a juried show -- go for it! There are many wonderful quilts out there done with that basic stitch and they carry their own beauty that is beloved and respected by many quilters and quilt-lovers.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

I would think you would need to study the category you want to enter under. There will probably be spots for needle turn, machine applique and raw edge applique. If it is all lumped in together, then a needle turn entry will score higher then machine applique in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:05 PM

so much depends upon the show to be entered. Some have categories for each type and while I don't like spending the time to do needle turn, I do frankly think that it does tend to look better--and maybe score better usually cause all quilters know how darn long it takes!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:37 PM

I guess if one were tenacious enough and willing to make some alterations, any applique pattern could be needle turned. But for me, some applique patterns are so intricate and sometimes small that it is not suited for needle turn, but designed specifically for machine applique and more specifically raw edge machine applique. If you are designing your own project, you can keep the ease of needle turn in mind. If this is a purchased pattern, I would do a google search for images of the completed quilt and determine if it is generally needle turned or machine appliqued. I would be very frustrated if I started a needle turn applique pattern and find out it was too difficult to needle turn. In this case my finished quilt would not be show quality. Whatever technique you use, it must be done well. I agree that some research on what categories are available at the quilt show would be helpful. Just one more thought. Does a needle turned applique quilt need to be hand quilted?
Old 02-22-2016, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Just one more thought. Does a needle turned applique quilt need to be hand quilted?
Yes, needle turn applique is exclusively a hand sewn method; it's called needle turn because you use the needle to turn the edge of the fabric under before taking a stitch to hold in place. However, you can do a turned edge applique design by machine by either gluing, pressing or sewing the edge under before machine stitching the turned edge. Typically this is done with either a buttonhole or a decorative stitch, but I suppose one could do it with a blind hem stitch. I wouldn't do a straight stitch with a turned edge unless there is some design reason for having a puffy edge to the applique.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:00 AM

True needle turn applique is done by hand because, as stated above, it is turned under by the needle as you stitch. However, there are methods of approximating needle-turn by machine. Eleanor Burns has one method of stitching the patches to light-weight interfacing and turning the edges in by cutting a slit in the back of the facing. Another method is to use freezer paper and ironing the seam under. Both these methods call for an edge stitching by machine that is almost invisible. I think the important thing, for competition, is to be sure that the method you use looks like it is intentional and part of the design rather than a 'shortcut'. I enjoy both hand and machine applique.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
Just one more thought. Does a needle turned applique quilt need to be hand quilted?
No - Sandra Leichner does lovely, intricate hand appliqué and machine quilts on a domestic. Her machine quilting is exquisite. She's won top prizes at all the quilt shows.

Janet
Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Here is a link to past winners of AQS shows

http://www.americanquilter.com/shows...ow_winners.php If you click on them you can see pictures of the quilts. But it is hard to tell if the applique is turned edge (either needle turn or prepared applique) or raw. There aren't any real closeups.

Raw edge applique has earned ribbons. Last year at Paducah an absolutely amazing quilt of a heron took a ribbon for small wall quilts quilted on a home machine (as opposed to a longarm) . There are pictures on this blog
http://www.dragonflyquilts.com/weblog/?p=2040

If it is incredibly well done and stands out from the crowd it will get a judges attention.