Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about certain tools >

Questions about certain tools

Questions about certain tools

Old 02-01-2017, 11:23 AM

I use Terial Magic instead of starch. I buy it by the gallon and love it. I also use the Elmer's School glue for basting small projects and the Crayloa(sp) Ultra Washable crayons for marking the quilting lines.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Another thing that makes a good stiletto is a wooden skewer with a nice, pointed end used to make shish-kabobs. I've used the shorter one, but usually use the Clover stiletto for feeding fabric under the foot. Good idea about protecting fingers from steam--thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Should there be other tools I need to worry about? Have a cutting mat, rulers (several) and a rotary cutter (if I can find it again since moving).
Old 02-01-2017, 05:58 PM

Other than a seam ripper?? LOL. I think we're all way too familiar with that particular tool!

Other than the basics (mat, cutter & rulers that you have); pins which I'm assuming you have...a nice pair of both large and small scissors; hot iron - I can't really think of too many other 'necessities'. Needle & thread. Fabric. Batting. I'm pretty much a 'minimalist' when it comes to quilting.

I do suggest all of your rulers are of the same brand. Measurements do vary. I do have a small, spiral bound reference book that I believe is called 'The Quilters Reference Guide' or something close to that which I would highly recommend. Lots of good info in there and not too pricey. Fits nicely into the drawer of a sewing table (about 5 x 7).

Have as much do double duty for you as you can.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 PM
dms

I use all kinds of starch, but as far as glue, I just got some from Jillily and love it. It is different in that it is a little tacky so you don't have to iron it and it comes with a very fine point so you have a lot of control which is not present with a glue stick.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 PM

I just want to add the the uses for starch. I buy liquid starch and pour a little into a very small dish, and using a little paintbrush, I paint it onto the edges of my appliqué pieces.
Cut out appliqués shapes of freezer paper, press them, shiny side down on the back of the fabric. Cut fabric 1/4" away from edge of freezer paper. Use paintbrush to paint liquid starch on edges of fabric, then fold fabric over edge of freezer paper, and press with a hot iron (a stiletto, skewer, or seam ripper makes this easier and prevents burnt fingers). When I am finished with all of my pieces, I use Elmer's school glue to glue the pieces in place, then hand sew them down in front of the TV in the evenings. I know that this is not the original way to do appliqué, but needle turn and I do not get along (Coordination issues here).