Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
questions about English paper piecing >

questions about English paper piecing

questions about English paper piecing

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Greetings to all members of our Hexie Club. I have found a wonderful website with information for all steps in working with hexies. Take a peek at www.texasfreckles.com. I think you will enjoy her hexie journey and the information she shares.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 AM

For those who use the ladder stitch, how do you hold your hexies? For whip stitch or buttonhole you would place them faces together and stitch the edge. I can't seem to wrap my head around how you would do the ladder stitch.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:52 AM

I just started to do hex as well. Checking website on my next steps. Do I leave the paper until its sewn together or take it out after ironing them? Still learning this new project.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tilladare View Post
For those who use the ladder stitch, how do you hold your hexies? For whip stitch or buttonhole you would place them faces together and stitch the edge. I can't seem to wrap my head around how you would do the ladder stitch.
You would hold them the exact same way. It's only the stitching that is different. In this picture, I'm using a ladder stitch to sew diamonds together. I left the stitching loose so you could see the thread. Same technique, just different shapes.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418922[/ATTACH]

And here's what it the front looks like when it's finished.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418924[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails close-up-ladder-stitch.jpg   diamond-closeup.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by juropat View Post
I just started to do hex as well. Checking website on my next steps. Do I leave the paper until its sewn together or take it out after ironing them? Still learning this new project.
Most of my papers are still in place for now. I don't stitch or tack through any papers! You need to keep your edge papers in!!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418609[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]418611[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]418612[/ATTACH]Got there! Work in progress!
Thank you for posting the pics.......This is really a neat idea - can you take some pics of how you are doing the button hole stitch? Close-ups for each stage of the stitching....as I think that would also help some of the newer quilters.....e.g. where and how you started, direction of sewing, etc....THANKS!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:22 PM

I don't iron at all...when are you ironing?
Originally Posted by juropat View Post
Old 06-15-2013, 01:24 PM

I'm not following what you are saying.....Could you post pics?
Originally Posted by SandyQuilter View Post
It amazes me that English paper piecing is still so popular. Why whip stitch when you get better results from simply sewing a short running stitch on the seam line. I cut out a hexagon template with seams included, then poke a large needle in each seam line intersection to make a tiny holes. Then when I mark for cutting, I put the point of a mechanical pencil into each hole and make a tiny dot. These are the beginning and ending marks for sewing the seam line. Takes about 10 running stitches for one seam. There are eight of us in my quilting class making king-sized quilts in this manner. Not a whip stitch in sight! And it's fast. Much faster than folding edges over paper, basting, then whip stitching.
SandyQuilter
Old 06-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Thank you!!
Originally Posted by Tilladare View Post
While I'm not the person you asked, here is a link to the tutorial I am using to finish my hexagon quilt, (when I get to that point. Only half finished with top so far)
http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05...ie-quilts.html
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 PM

So you are just folding the fabric around the papers and securing with stitches at the corners?