Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions  about Janome 6600 >

Questions about Janome 6600

Questions about Janome 6600

Old 10-17-2013, 06:57 PM

I have the 6600. Definitely get the lessons and buy it from a place where you get customer service and a janome certified technician available. Also the store may offer classes and you can meet other janome users.. I did not get a class with mine and I did not think the manual was good at all. The extra money is worth every cent. IMHO .
MA
Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 PM

There is a great forum group of Janome 6600 users on Yahoo that can help you out too. I didn't have "lessons" with mine, the dealer went out of business before I got there for them. After having it six years, I learned several things I had no idea about from a dealer's sales staff member this winter when I took mine in for a service. None of it was in the manual, but she knew through Dealer Training provided by Janome. Left me wondering what else I was missing....
Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM

IMHO $1600 is way too high. I own this machine, LOVE it, but purchased it from a great dealer for less than $1200 5 yrs. ago. Hope you do well.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
IMHO $1600 is way too high. I own this machine, LOVE it, but purchased it from a great dealer for less than $1200 5 yrs. ago. Hope you do well.
The prices have gone up quite a bit on machines. I paid $1400 about 5 years ago. My dealer now has them for $1800
Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 AM

I bought mine for $1800 a few years ago. Sadly, my dealer closed his shop in my town after that. I also recommend the Yahoo group. I'm not there much anymore, but it is a great place to learn what your machine can do. The manual only covers the basics. You'll love the 6600!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

The variances in prices may be the inclusions or non, as part of the package.

Some 6600's come with a table (SRP $500). Some not.
Some include the basic package of tools/feet ... some a whole bunch more.

That can make for a big difference in the price.

So when you are comparing prices of mine was a lot more or a lot less ... are you really comparing apples to apples?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 AM

I have bought two of my machines online and one through a dealer. I have never used the dealer for anything after the purchase other than routine maintenance, but I also take my two internet purchases to him for routine maintenance too. I've had no negative experience buying online, so for my money (and I learn easily on my own, so I don't feel a need for classes) I have no problem buying online if I get a great deal.

Sure, once in a while there can be an issue, but how many have bought through a dealer only to have them switch to another brand, go out of business, not stand behind their product, etc...? It's all a bit of a crap shoot, so I go with the good deal and take my chances, just like I would if I went through a dealer.

But to each his own. You've gotten lots of helpful advice and various experiences in this thread. So go with what makes you feel the most comfortable.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 AM

I got mine from a dealer and paid the same price you called out. I never saw it anywhere on the internet cheaper, so I didnt' have your debate.

I would say check out the warranty on the internet one. If it has the warranty then I would be temepted to go that route. Janome honors the warranty and whatever dealer you take it to will be paid by the company. I would think though, that if you didn't purchase from a dealer you take it to for service the customer service may lack somewhat. They may find it harder to schedule you in before the customers who did purchase from them.

I do feel better knowing that the dealer is there, but I hope I never need them. I did take the lessons, but I don't believe I gained too much from them. I had the machine for several weeks before I went back for the lessons, so I had played with it alot.

I love my machine and it is very easy to use. I am sure that there are many features that I don't know about, but I didn't learn them with my lesson either.

I will also say if my dealer was close to me then I would buy from the dealer... just handier. My dealer is close to an hour away
Old 10-18-2013, 07:30 AM

Not sure what position is in USA, but I'm looking at new machines in UK and dealer told me 6600 wa superceded by 7700 and this has been replaced by 8900, so should pay a lot less for either of the others as they are now old stock. So look for a good deal and try and get price down. If you garment sew the only drawback on the 6600 is that it doesnt have a freearm for cuffs n trousers.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
The variances in prices may be the inclusions or non, as part of the package.

Some 6600's come with a table (SRP $500). Some not.
Some include the basic package of tools/feet ... some a whole bunch more.

That can make for a big difference in the price.

So when you are comparing prices of mine was a lot more or a lot less ... are you really comparing apples to apples?
I bought mine about 3 months ago, here in Uk. It cost £1000.00 which I think is about 1500 dollars. The extension table was included, plus all the different feet, including a walking foot. It also came with a 5 year warranty. I bought from a dealer, where I was able to test drive it before. I did not have any lessons