Questions about rag quilts. >

Questions about rag quilts.

Questions about rag quilts.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I just found this site that may be helpful:

http://www.quiltshops.com/calculator/calculator.htm

You put in your size blocks and width of fabric and it'll give you what you need for your yardage. Based on 8 across and 9 down you'll need 3.1 yards for your front.
What a cool site. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

Do people prewash flannel for rag quilts? I have always prewashed and dried flannel twice when making a pieced quilt, but I'm wondering if it's necessary for a rag quilt. I've never made a rag quilt but would like to!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 PM

You don't prewash the flannel for a rag quilt. After the quilt is made and fringed you'll need to wash it at least 2 times. The flannel fuzz will float to the top of the water so scoop out as much as you can. Then you dry the quilt in your dryer and make sure you clean the filter afterwards. When all is done your quilt will be a little smaller and soft and cuddly. May in Jersey
Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 PM

I love rag quilts since they are very very easy and I am very much of a beginner. I have made 3. And all have been for 3 year olds. aLL twin size. I can't say what has happened for two of them since I gave them for my niece and nephew but the one I made for my son is very very strong and durable. It is definitely toddler safe. I just sewed an X in the middle to hold the sandwich together. None of it has came apart yet. Just be sure that you don't snip the seams when you cut it. And no I didn't prewash any of my fabric. I have used flannels, cottons, jean and even some of that really soft "chenille like" fabric. I figured if any of it shrunk it would just add to the rag look. The last one I made was green and purple on one side and yellow and pink on the other side. Every other row I switched the way the seams went. So the first row all seams opened to the pink side then next row all open to the green side. It turned out really cool. Both sides were completely different and both sides were ragged. They are a lot of fun. Be careful when you dry them and check the lint filter every 5 min or so. :) Good Luck
Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
You don't prewash the flannel for a rag quilt. After the quilt is made and fringed you'll need to wash it at least 2 times. The flannel fuzz will float to the top of the water so scoop out as much as you can. Then you dry the quilt in your dryer and make sure you clean the filter afterwards. When all is done your quilt will be a little smaller and soft and cuddly. May in Jersey
Thanks for the great info!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 AM

I can't take credit for the site. I was searching around the board here and found it. Just passing it on!!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 AM

I'm just worried about the pink or yellow bleeding onto the white/dots. Do you think that'll be a problem?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bbair
I'm just worried about the pink or yellow bleeding onto the white/dots. Do you think that'll be a problem?
I doubt it would be a problem. However, you can test for colorfastness with small pieces of fabric. Put each one in a clear glass of water and see if the water colors. Next, rub the damp fabric against the white one to see if there is any color transfer. If the fabrics pass these tests, you won't have a problem. It only take a square inch or two of fabric for the testing.