Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Questions about scrappy quilts

I just started cutting my fabric into strips. I have 2 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2, and 6 1/2 I have not done anything with them yet because I am still cutting fabrics. I will be starting soon to make lap quilts to get rid of fabric and then maybe next year I can finish my blocks of the months.

Blog Entries
    In answer to your question--all of the above! Recently I was given a sack of slivers anything from unevenly cut 3/4" strips to 1 1/2" pieces. I'm working on a small liberated courthouse steps with them. I have 12 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangles sewn. The plan is to make 15 and make a small quilt for a local fundraiser. Name:  PC 34 Fishing Boats.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  73.9 KBName:  PC 34 Fishing Boats1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  79.0 KB
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Name:  IMGP7346.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  1.85 MB

I love scrappies but mine do have a little plan in them. The one above (I hope the photo has been attached) is entirely of scraps with the exception of the black middle.

I think making scrappy quilts is all about playing with what you have and seeing what looks interesting together. It's your quilt, so please yourself.

Lately I have tried Bonnie Hunter's method of cutting my scraps into usable sizes and piecing them as leaders and enders while sewing a different quilt. I made, among other things, about 450 3" squares. Then I sorted them into pairs, alternating lighter and darker, and started making 4-patch blocks. I have enough to make some sort of quilt, but haven't decided for sure on other parts of it. I'm thinking of a variation of an Arkansas Crossroads pattern. The thing is, it's very encouraging to me to have those 4-patch blocks instead of a pile of scrambled bits. Also, the gradual coming together of them is relatively painless and entertaining, whereas if I'd started off with a specific plan to make a little quilt with almost 100 different fabrics in it - in small pieces - it would have looked like a much bigger challenge.

Wow, Karen! Those are gorgeous spiderweb blocks! I hope you'll post pictures of the finished quilt.

Blog Entries
    Everyone is different, I tend to try to sort for awhile, but in the end, just end up throwing in what I have unless, it really screams that it needs something different. The nice thing with scrappy, if you can get your mind to let go of control issues, is that everything usually tends to play well together, when it's done. A proverbial quilt soup!

Blog Entries
    I sort left overs by size. First I see if a piece is 10"w x 10+" up to the size of a fat quarter and put them in one stack.

Full fat quarters in another stack.

Anything smaller than 10"w x anything up to WOF, I cut into the largest strip And I have stacks from 9"w down to
    1 1/2"w strips.

I don't sort by color or theme, Just size.

When I need a certain amount or width of fabric I go to the stack of the appropriate size strip.

I like to keep things as easy as possible and I find that if I over- sort fabric I have to look in more places only because some fabrics fit into many catagories. Doing it by size only, keeps it simple.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    You need to go to Bonnie Hunter's site "Quiltville". She has info on all things scrappy. Lots of instructions and free patterns. Here's her organization method
    http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
    I took a look at Bonnie Hunters site and it is awesome. I will visit there for inspiration many times, I'm sure. Thanks
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I usually start with an idea for a pile or sack of scraps that I have on hand but rarely is it big enough for an entire quilt so I have to cut to add to it. I have limited space so it's easier for me since I don't have bins of scraps.

And your idea for a scrappy quilt sounds great---thanks for starting this topic---I get a lot of inspiration here. And please post a picture when you're finished!
    Jean

i made a christmas scrappy and my daughter in law liked it so much i ended up giving it to her the only thing that was the same was the 2" white strip down the middle of each and it turned out beautiful... have fun .. they really are fun to construct..

I just have a go at a scrap block etc; when I am fed up with following patterns, here is an example of a "crumb" quilt, using Bonnie Hunter's wonderful site: http://quiltville.blogspot.co.uk/200...bs-crumbs.html I made one weekend when I was bored, it was for Project Linus:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have not been able to do the willy-nilly (or brown bag) approach in scrappy quilts - mine are a bit more controlled than that. However, I usually start when I have enough scraps in my bin to do a project. Then I pick a pattern and sort my scraps into the required heaps (light - medium -dark, depending on the pattern). I do not fret over which piece goes next to another unless they really bite each other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2