Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Questions about using wool

Questions about using wool

I would like to make a quilt that I think would work well for using cottons and wool. Since I have no experience using wool I have a few questions....is there a difference in wool brands and quality? What should I be looking for when I purchase wool that would go into a quilt. Can wool edges be machine appliquéd? Thanks

Blog Entries
    i don't know much about wool. i do know they can be machine appliqued
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Banned
    There are different types of wool fabric, and different qualities of fabric within those different types. It would depend on how you actually intend to use it.

Ann Marie O (a board member) has been making blocks each month from wool. She may be able to help you with answers to your questions. Here's a link to her most recent wool block.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t288043.html

Blog Entries
    I love working with wool. I've made numerous wool on cotton flannel appliqué quilts. I always find 100% wool. I up cycle a lot. ( purchase wool coats, skirts, etc from thrift stores or garage sales) those I deconstruct and launder- hot water wash, with detergent, cold rinse, hot dryer. I often overdye my wools too. There are lots of tutorials and patterns available. Purchased wool fabrics ( hand dyed) are generally already felted & ready to use, if regular yardage I launder it myself- same method as clothing.
    Inuse freezer paper for my templates. As long as the wool is felted the edges do not fray , no need to turn under edges. There are many sites to visit for help, hints, tips and inspiration. A few of my favorites are : Sue Spargo!, she has many patterns, books available; Primitive Gatherings; Lisa Bongean; Missie Carpenter, Traditional Primitives; and Wool Central. Here's a couple projects I've done
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by ckcowl; 05-17-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    wow, ckcowl, those are beautiful. thanks for the references. i just bought some wool at a show ans not sure what to do with it right now.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.