Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions to ask LA'er BEFORE hireing >

Questions to ask LA'er BEFORE hireing

Questions to ask LA'er BEFORE hireing

Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

I think these are all good questions. I think I have been asked these questions several times.

:thumbup:
Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

No one has mentioned the big question of cost!

Also, discuss the design that will be used to quilt it, and what colour thread. I look to my LAQ'er for advice and suggestions, though it's ultimately my decision.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Jim

What quilting pattern, whats the cost, what type of batting and do I buy or do you supply the batting, thread? colors of thread? binding? Do I supply the fabric for the binding and how much if I do...or if you do whats the cost? How long will it take? Can you Explain all costs involved? Such as, Do you charge extra for ironing, cutting threads, squaring, if I want it squared? What can I expect the total cost to be and when can I expect it to be completed?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM

I am not too trusting of some folk.

If I wanted a LAer I would want to see a lot of their completed work.

Word of mouth from quilting friends and seeing their work quilted is great.

Another effective way to see a LAer's work is to go to quilt shows and note those LAer's whose work you admire. Or go to LQS's and ask who does the quilts they have displayed.

The questions posted are all great.

ali
Old 07-15-2011, 06:04 AM

Great questions so far. Keep them coming.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 AM

what will the quilting be like? ....panto?...custom?....if custom, can I see some of your work?......final price (some won't tell you all the little additional costs, like setup fees for each different pattern).....turnaround time (can you have it done in reasonable time)......is your frame big enuf to handle this King size quilt?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I just sent a gift quilt to a LA'r. She works out of "my" LQS. All the girls who work at the shop use her and her work is beautiful. There is a book of patterns to pick from and best of all she picks them up on Wed. and they are back and done the following Wed. Her name is Rhonda and my quilt turned out beautiful.
Sue

I wish Rhonda would move. I have a great suggestion where her new home could be.
:mrgreen:
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Do you use the cheapest batting you can buy? Do you have a selection of thread colors other then white or neutral? Do you know not to quilt over hand applique? Do you know to check underneath the quilt for tension problems every so often? Do you know that one pucker or one pleat is not okay? Do you have the sense to refuse a quilt that you know the problems will not quilt out but make them much worse?

Everyone of these questions are issues I've had with' want to make money being an machine quilter so I bought a long arm' in my area. :roll:

I have found a long armer I am happy with and she is swamped with business because she takes pride in her work and it shows. One bad quilting job shown at guild is a put out of business fast around here.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 AM

I want to either see lots of the LA's work, or have lots of people I trust recommend her to me. One of the things I look for when I go to quilt shows is the name of the QUILTER - meaning the person who actually quilted the quilt. If I see 3 or 4 beautifully quilted quilts that were done by the same person, I usually look that person up.