Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for Canadian quilters >

Questions for Canadian quilters

Questions for Canadian quilters

Old 04-18-2016, 02:04 PM

I have found that variety and quality has improved somewhat at Connecting Threads recently. I think they now carry some fabrics from known designers. I like them for wide backings and I always get my batting from them. They regularly have 30-35% sales on Hobbs battings. Their large cotton cones are also a good deal, although their thread does produce a bit more lint. They also regularly have 30% sales on tools, rulers, etc.

I think they must ship from a Canadian address, as I have never paid duty on my orders.

I also order from Hamels from time to time. I get 505 basting spray from them, as this item can't be shipped to Canada from the U.S. I find their fabric a bit expensive. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy from fabric.com, and pay exchange rate and duty!

I didn't know about Sew Sisters in Ontario and Stitch in the Ditch in Kelowna. Will definitely check them out. Thanks for that information.

I order all of my fabric online, as there are no quilt shops anywhere close. There was one about 30 miles away, but they closed. I'm not surprised, most of their fabric was $20.00 Can./meter. Even with the extra 3 inches compared to one yard, I considered that pretty expensive.

I have ordered from Fabric.com, Calico Cottage Quilting, Equilter and Keepsake Quilting. Equilter sometimes have 50% discount on shipping to Canada.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:11 PM

I order a lot from Connecting Threads. That is the only US site I buy from. I love their thread and I have always gotten quality fabric from them. (And no duty - and they charge the HST and collect it right on the bill). They used to have a free shipping if you bought $75 US (before taxes etc), but I'm not sure if that's still in effect.
In Canada I order from Sew Sisters and Hamels. Mostly I go to the local Quilt shops and we have a discount store called Len's that has several locations here in south west Ontario and they stock a lot of fabric, prices have been fairly reasonable, but I haven't bought much lately so I can't say if the prices have gone up due to rising exchange rate.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:43 PM

I like Hamel's. I have had good service from them a few times. The quality of their merchandise is excellent.
http://www.hamelsfabrics.com/

A new online shop that was at a retreat that I was at recently is called "Quincy's Quilting". The ladies are fantastic and the quality of their product is excellent as well. Free shipping within Canada on all orders.
http://www.quincysquilting.com/

Recently I found this fantastic list called "The Big List of Online Canadian Fabric Stores". This should keep you busy!
http://finishedgarment.ca/canadian-o...fabric-stores/
Old 04-18-2016, 04:57 PM

I have a couple of friends who order from here and are very pleased. They are locate in Ft McMurray AB
http://www.clotheslinequiltsandhandiwork.com/

I haven't yet because I'm trying to control myself.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:47 PM

In case Canadian quilters are not aware, Hamels has a special quilters week end once a month at 20% off on fabric by the meter - not on pre cuts. Of course, I try to purchase during the 20% off sale as it does make quite a difference.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:29 AM

Connecting threads is my fav
Old 04-19-2016, 04:42 AM

Thanks to Geraldine2016 for posting this question and to all those who replied. I have 'favourited' all these websites and look forward to lots of Canadian shopping! Love this board!
Old 04-19-2016, 04:52 AM

I have not ordered online here in Canada but I have used several of the stores that do offer an online service.

The Quilt Patch in Moosejaw is amazing--quality fabric and excellent service (I have emailed them,etc). I always went to them at the Creative Festival here.

Sew Sisters is my go to store as it is quite close to me. Excellent fabric and prices usually.

Quilting Bee in Fonthill--excellent fabric and service--I was short some fabric that I bought from them at the creative festival and they bent over backwards to help me out.

Stitch in Time in Leamington--again I go to them at the creative festival. Excellent prices and quality items.
Country Clothesline--love their fabric

Cherished Pieces in Tillsonburg is also excellent. Go there when in town to visit family

The Quilters Cupboard in Uxbridge is absolute perfection--but I do not know if you can order online with them.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:36 AM

Quilted bear in B.C and Shirley's in Moosomin, Saskatchewan are both excellent.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 AM

MISS MOLLY'S BATIK HAVEN

Is another site ....she sells on facebook.