Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for Pfaff Owners >

Questions for Pfaff Owners

Questions for Pfaff Owners

Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 PM

I have 2 Pfaff's also. I seem to use the IDT when piecing unless it is a curved seam.

I used to hold the threads tightly away from me when i started sewing but with the arthritis I now use a leader/spider/piece of cloth to get started and chain piece as much as possible.

I do use the single hole throat plate for piecing. I just replace it with the wider throat plate when I want to use other stitches than straight or want to move the needle over.

I did widen the hole on my 1/4" guide foot with flange using a small round file from Home Depot. This way I can move the needle over 1 [or 2] spaces if I want and still it works with the single hole plate. I check it first to make sure the needle clears the hole before I sew.

Unfortunately the throat plate is made of strong metal and the single hole can not be enlarged. Oh well.

ali
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 PM

I always use the IDT on my machines for piecing, do not have that problem, guess I hold the threads with out even thinking about it, but also use leaders and enders, to save thread. love all my Pfaffs!! all 6 of them LOL
Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 PM

Alikat, is there a reason that you don't use IDT for curved pieces? Just curious if it makes a difference in how the bias edges stretch?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by debcavan
IDT engaged.

I get fabric down in the hole every once in awhile but not often. I don't use that little piece of fabric either. Some people put a small scrap through and then connect their patchwork.

The single hole plate does help this problem on many machines but then you have to remember to remove it before you zig zag
You can lock the stitch so that it won't zigzag. To lock it, press the twin needle button. You will be given two options. Option 2 is for "pattern selection lock for stitch plate with round hole". To unlock it to use the zigzag (after you change the plate) press the twin needle button again.

I always use the starter fabric, even when I use the single hole plate. It not only helps with the fabric jam, but also eliminates the need to clip threads.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 PM

I don't know what you mean by IDT. I love my Pfaff 1170 which I bought in 1997. I always lock my stitches when starting and to avoid the pull down, I start about a 1/4 inch in on the fabric and then backstitch to lock them. This alleviates the problem. I find this easier than using a start scrap of material.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I don't know what you mean by IDT. I love my Pfaff 1170 which I bought in 1997. I always lock my stitches when starting and to avoid the pull down, I start about a 1/4 inch in on the fabric and then backstitch to lock them. This alleviates the problem. I find this easier than using a start scrap of material.
I also hold the threads when I start. I forgot that part. :)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 PM

I do backstitch to the beginning of the fabric. I also hold the threads when I start. I forgot that part. :)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Power Poster

IDT stands for Integrated Dual Transportation, if it is engaged the black plastic piece is hooked onto the back of the presser foot.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:52 AM

What an IDT?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
I have a Pfaff Creative 7550 that I purchased in the late 90's. I seem to have alot of problem with it pulling fabric down into the feed dogs as I start while piecing or joining blocks. This is not a new problem as my machine has always tended to do this and when I only worked on 1 or 2 projects a year I just dealt with it but now that I am trying to complete more projects it has become very bothersome. Now here are my questions;
1. Have others with this machine or similiar experienced this? (or does my machine need to go the the Pfaff doctor?)
2. I know there is a single hole plate available, has anyone purchased it and did it solve the problem? (I don't mind spending the money to solve the problem but if nothing changes I would rather buy fabric.)
3. While piecing do Pfaff owners have the IDT engaged or disengaged?
Sorry that this is so long, but I really like my machine and if I could get a solution for this little issue I like we can be happy together for years to come.
Also have and love my 7570. I use my single hole plate for all my piecing and with anything straight stitching. IMHO you should get it because I don't think you will be disappointed. It is advantageous to help you do your sewing/quilting without problems. I have chain pieced but still used the single hole plate for the best performance of my machine. Then I change it to the zig zag plate for other work and embroidery. I've personally never found it a problem to change the needle plate. Fortunately I've never had any problem with the fabric getting caught in the hole. Maybe you're starting at the very tip of the fabric that might cause this. Just make sure you are not at the very end but a few stitches down and then if necessary you can backstitch to lock in place and move back forward without any problems. I use my IDT on all my piecing and anything else it works with. When SID, straight line quilting, etc., I always have my IDT engaged. It just keeps the fabrics moving evenly so I don't have any puckers. I have even used in on some FMQ. When I do embroidery I do not have it engaged. I use the IDT in any application it will work. After all that's why we love our Pfaff's. If I'm not mistaken the the screen will tell you what needle plate to use for various applications. Also, if you still have your book is should tell you which needle plate to use for the best performance for whatever stitching you are doing Hope this helps....