Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on  reversible quilts and backings. >

Questions on reversible quilts and backings.

Questions on reversible quilts and backings.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts View Post
I agree that lining the two sides up is virtually impossible...have you considered a simple meander instead, that would good from both sides?
I make double sided quilts and I use a simple meander. As chiaraquilts said, it looks good on both sides.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM

I will always do a meander or something similar - that way whatever the back is, it will look OK. If the front is blocks that you are doing something special in, the meander, stipple or all over design will look good. I FMQ with my standard home machine. I took a couple of tutorials on it and learned to handle big quilts - I just don't like spending $100-$200 to have a quilt long arm quilted. The work is beautiful but I want the quilt to be all me - from start to finish. The hardest part is getting the top, batting and back basted together - I'm usually down on the floor and that gets harder as you get older - a bummer.

Good luck,
KaraMarie
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM

On my double sided quilts, I quilt to suit my dominant side and let the stitches fall where they may on the back. Echoing flowers on the front gave the pieced back on my daughter's quilt a new dimension, but we liked it.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t192881.html

On this one with I did try to avoid in the eyes in the pictures on the back while thread painting the animals on the front.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t174360.html
Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM

You can do a reversible one, the one I have seen done had free motion quilting, I don't know if you can line up both side enough that sitd would work, just my thoughts.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if you do an all over design for the stitching, it would not make a big difference where the stitches land on the back compared to the front.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM

My backings are never the same block pattern - but I do carry the same color scheme.This way my binding looks good for both sides. I will pick out some thing both sides have in common like a leaf or flower etc. and go with that or else an Amish Braid.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 PM

I have a hard enough time getting the stitches in the ditch on the front....can't imagine getting it right on both sides. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 AM

The quilt as you go method is a great way to make a wonderful looking quilt. If you use a fancy stitch or however you quilt your blocks, make sure you pull the bobbin thread up to tie off your thread. The first one I made I used the cutter on my machine and now that I have learned to pull up the bobbin thread I am much happier with the back it is just a nice as the front.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Go to youtube, look for "the gourmet quilter", and watch her video on 'quilt as you go'. She has a wonderful easy method for making the quilt double sided by fabric choice alone. Good luck, and post pictures!