Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on  reversible quilts and backings. >

Questions on reversible quilts and backings.

Questions on reversible quilts and backings.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Questions on reversible quilts and backings.

I know most people don't get too worked up over the back of a quilt. They either piece enough large pieces together to make the back or buy either sheets or wide yardage that's intended for quilt backs. Then they quilt from the front with no particular care for how the pattern looks from the back.

I have it stuck in my head that I want to make a reversible quilt with the same block pattern but different colors front and back. Most of the quilting would lend itself to SITD just fine but my questions are basically has anyone here attempted something like this and how did you keep everything aligned so both sides looked good after it was quilted?

Thanks,
Rodney
Old 04-06-2014, 08:19 AM

That sounds doable with a quilt as you go method.

Mary
Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Queen. Unless you do QAYG, it would be virtually impossible to keep the seams aligned sufficiently for SITD.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM

Rodney, I piece my backs but I am one who pieces the backs because it gives me another opportunity to be creative. I often put as much thought into designing the back as I do the front! I have yet to do a completely solid back. When I quilt, I quilt for the front and don't worry about the quilting lining up on the back. I have attempted it a couple of times and I have not been able to make it work. QAYG is probably your best route though I have never tried it.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 AM

I agree that lining the two sides up is virtually impossible...have you considered a simple meander instead, that would good from both sides?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

quilt as you go sounds like a great idea for this.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 AM

I recently made a quilt for a baby and decided that because it was so large (will fit a twin bed) that I would do the back in 9 patch. That way it could be used into her grade school years. I was stumped as to how to quilt it so that the back would look decent.....

One of our peers here gave me a great idea regarding quilting it. Do the two sides separately; thin batting backed with bridal toile and then sandwich the front and back together after they are quilted separately. I haven't done it yet, but I'm ready to go.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

yes, quilt as you go book Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson is a great one to look into.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 AM

I found your question and the comments interesting. I have only made a few quilts and I have not liked the back where the seam is from joining the two widths of fabric. This is because I just do SID for now and you really notice the backing seam when it doesn't align with a the stitching of a seam on the quilt front. On my last quilt, I took the time to pin and then baste so it did. Wasn't easy but I like it better. I think I will be looking into wide backings, however! I agree that QAYG would be the way to go.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell View Post
I recently made a quilt for a baby and decided that because it was so large (will fit a twin bed) that I would do the back in 9 patch. That way it could be used into her grade school years. I was stumped as to how to quilt it so that the back would look decent.....

One of our peers here gave me a great idea regarding quilting it. Do the two sides separately; thin batting backed with bridal toile and then sandwich the front and back together after they are quilted separately. I haven't done it yet, but I'm ready to go.
I like this idea. The only issue I can think of is it would form a sort of bag in the middle if the front and back are only secured to each other around the edges. Maybe a few discrete tacks here and there to tie things together?
It's certainly something to think about. Both sides could be completely independent designs other than the binding that way.
Do you know anyone who has actually done this?

Auntpiggylpn: I love the last two quilt backs you posted.
Rodney