Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on tote bags >

Questions on tote bags

Questions on tote bags

Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
I personally hate those nylon web handles. They are very hard on my hands especially when there is weight in the tote. I love handles made with fabric and fusible fleece, they are super soft on the hands.
I use the nylon web for handles, but cover it with a couple of layers of fabric. Softens it, but has the strength needed for a heavy bag. And she will have a heavy bag. (I taught many years. Any bag gets heavy.)
Unless you've made quite a few totes, you might want to steer clear of the Professional Tote. It is a lovely bag and very useful, but it's a real bear to make. It broke my mojo for making totes. Just check the pattern before you buy.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I have a friend who uses the Bow Tucks bag that I gave her to carry her teaching supplies and items back and forth. However, in the past I have used heavy outdoor fabrics for tote bags, which are really sturdy. I would find a great fabric for the outside, making large pockets on either side deep enough for papers and folders. Inside I would use pockets all around the inside of the bag, and possibly adding a zippered pocket for items you don't want to lose. I would probably add a key ring, loop or something similar with a clip to hold your keys, which invariably go to the bottom of the bag. I would also add a sturdy insert in the bottom of the bag for extra strength. I've used plastic canvas covered with cotton batting, then covered with matching fabric to the bag, and some people use the plastic cutting boards you can get at the dollar store. I'm sure she's going to love whatever you do and you have lots of ideas here on the QB to help make decisions for what your bag will be.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 AM

Does she need a bag that can also protect a laptop??
Old 06-13-2015, 09:17 AM

Absolutely agree on a key loop and an elastic strap inside to hold water. For measurements, use a one inch binder to measure on of the outside pockets. That will give you the depth needed for packets of papers. I would also include a matching smaller bag that has a plastic lining in case she wants to bring a snack to work. When my girls were in college I made the several totes so they could grab stuff for a class and run - no need to search for books or swap out backpacks.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
I was going to say the same thing about the nylon web. If you don't want to make straps use the cotton webbing. It is much kinder to hands. I personally would want a zipper on the top. Even if she overfills it and can't zip she will have the option for other times (especially during bad weather)
I don't like the feel of the nylon web, so I recover it in quilter quality fabric. Keeps the nylon strength, but feels better in my hand. Also gives me more flexibility in color choice since I only have three different colored rolls of the stuff. Hot pink, teal, and purple.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:52 PM

When I taught, I liked a bag in which workbooks/folders/papers could lay flat on the bottom. I hated having to stand them up or have the sides curl up because they couldn't lay flat.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
The professional tote is a great bag, but it does have lots of pattern pieces. I have used mine for years.
http://thecreativethimble.com/shop/professional-tote/
Thanks for this link!! Have not come across The Creative Thimble before, but I love the look of that tote - have just ordered the mini tote pattern
Old 06-14-2015, 03:25 AM

This kit looked pretty cool and easy enough. Saw it when looking at the other pattern. http://quiltkitcentral.com/products/...it-14-x-16-x-6
Old 06-14-2015, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by GarageDragon View Post
Thanks for this link!! Have not come across The Creative Thimble before, but I love the look of that tote - have just ordered the mini tote pattern
I made this one--my first real tote. I wrote about it here on QB. I put quite a few pictures on the post.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t226830.html
Old 06-14-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I made this one--my first real tote. I wrote about it here on QB. I put quite a few pictures on the post.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t226830.html
Your bag is really lovely - I'm looking forward to having a go when my pattern arrives! Thank you for the link too, I had a read through and will also have a look into the 'soft and stable' instead of fusible interfacing which was mentioned...