Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on Twister quilts >

Questions on Twister quilts

Questions on Twister quilts

Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 AM

Marti Michelle has a ruler (tool) and it comes with instructions and it makes the twister block. Although with her ruler you don't have to start with the blocks all sewn together like with the other ruler. With her method you can use a charm pack or a layer cake, or just yardage cut into squares, and put the ruler down and cut the pieces out and sew them together according to the instructions. I made one and found that it doesn't waste as much fabric as with the other method. You might look into it. Gina
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Is this like a stack and whack?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a great tutorial. They must be kept in order they are cut or you will have a mess.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
Marti Michelle has a ruler (tool) and it comes with instructions and it makes the twister block. Although with her ruler you don't have to start with the blocks all sewn together like with the other ruler. With her method you can use a charm pack or a layer cake, or just yardage cut into squares, and put the ruler down and cut the pieces out and sew them together according to the instructions. I made one and found that it doesn't waste as much fabric as with the other method. You might look into it. Gina
Which ruler is it? http://www.frommarti.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? I have the Stitch and Twister ruler (which I like better when using a rotary since your less likely to slip and cut into another block, but the smallest size you can get from that is the 3 1/2" block. I have the other twister rulers (smaller ones) but often using the rotary I have to be so carefull and use the 28 rotary blade. Still have over cut a few blocks which I then have to repair as it always seems it just at/about the 1/4". I really like the twister look but must say I dislike the cutting, sewing, recutting and sewing again seems like time wasted to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jnuquilter View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]405498[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405499[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405500[/ATTACH]This is before it was quilted. I don't have a completed picture of it quilted yet. I am sewing the binding on it now. It is going to be in our local quilt show. Once I have a picture of it completed with the binding, I can post it if you want to see it.
Your twister quilt is gorgeous!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM

The Marti michell ruler is called the tessellating windmill and you can cut 8 sizes from it.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
The Marti michell ruler is called the tessellating windmill and you can cut 8 sizes from it.
Thank you Mike's girl! I done several twister patterns and even made my own one up...just so dislike the double work! I perfer sewing over cutting!!! lol
Old 04-03-2013, 05:36 PM

I've made a small wall hanging or table center--lots of fun. Sew blocks together and put a border around it, place tool on intersections and cut around the tool. Keep the squares cut in order. I used the small tool. Cutting to avoid cutting into the adjoining fabric left other squares that I used as the new border. I know there are patterns available to make other designs. And, Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a video on the twister.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 AM

Anita Grossman Solomon's book Rotary Cutting Revolution has a variation on "Twister blocks" without a tool. One more idea to throw into the mix. Peace, Pegeth
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by pegquilter8 View Post
Anita Grossman Solomon's book Rotary Cutting Revolution has a variation on "Twister blocks" without a tool. One more idea to throw into the mix. Peace, Pegeth
Yes, you absolutely do NOT need to buy specialty rulers or waste fabric to do these blocks. Anita reformulates and explains a method that is very old and very efficient.

You start with a pile of squares - whatever size squares you want - and make two identical cross cuts through the pile, so that each square of fabric becomes 4 identical blade-type pieces. Then you rearrange them on your design surface so that the 90-degree angles are in the middle. You arrange your colours the way you like them, and then resew into squares...it's a lot easier to do than to explain in words!

There is absolutely no fabric wasted and you can make the 'twister' whatever size you want, and decide how 'sharp' you want the blades to be. Very freeing and cost-efficient.