Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas >

Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas

Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas

Old 07-29-2015, 06:31 AM

I've always liked Darlene Zimmerman's patterns for 30's prints. She has two free ones on her site:

http://www.feedsacklady.com/freepatterns.php
Old 07-29-2015, 06:33 AM

Do check out Jenny's tutorials on Missouri Star Quilts. Some are so simple it is just amazing! Very inspiring. I just have to try them all!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:57 AM

The Yellow Brick Road pattern is easy and uses fat quarters. Best wishes to you.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:25 AM

There are some very nice patterns in Fons & Porter's book 'Easy Quilts'. Maybe they'd have that at your library?

The easiest pattern I ever made was called 'Cheaper by the Dozen'. The version I made used 12 fat quarters, but it could doubtless be made larger. I hope things are soon looking up for you!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM

Annie of ByAnnie has a free pattern called Wickedly Easy Quilt, and it is. It is written for FQs, and you end up with 16" square blocks. So if you make a baby quilt with 6 FQs, you get 6 blocks to sew together.

http://www.byannie.com/free-patterns/
Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 AM

http://maywoodstudio.com/projects/ You will see the 30s Pastel version on left - SCROLL down the page looking for Walk in The Park. The other version on right in R,B and W.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 AM

Default Quick & Easy 30s FQ ideas

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to sew much lately, and haven't really had much desire due to life's stress, but I miss it. I have a fat quarter bundle of 30s fabric and I'd like some ideas for a quick and easy quilt. I don't have a lot of time (or patience) for anything tricky right now, and I also don't have the time to look through books and magazines for ideas. I guess I sound a little lazy, and maybe I really am, but if anyone can give me some ideas, I'd appreciate it.

i suppose I'm trying to get out of a funk and could use a little help. Thanks in advance!
I know exactly how you feel as I have been experiencing the same low. I agree with the suggestions here. There are many inspirational ideas on Pinterest which should make your mouth water. I am currently working on a very simple patchwork quilt using up some charm squares, because I can't face anything technical at the moment. Having said that, I have become addicted to You Tube and want to make a fabric journal, because I have lots of fabric scraps and lace. There are many tutorials on fabric based crafts where it is only necessary to do a little at a time. Once you get back on the creativity wheel it will lower your stress level. I have also joined a local sewing group, which has helped boost my self-confidence. We just sew and chat over a cup of tea or coffee for a few hours so there is no pressure. I wish you well and hope to see your finished quilt on this board. I love 30s prints.

Last edited by nantucketsue; 07-30-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:32 AM

I had a gifted bundle of 1930s fabrics and finally decided to do something with it. I'm now working on this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526465[/ATTACH]

Easy, but lots of sewing! You don't even need a whole FQ!
Attached Thumbnails hugs-kisses.jpg  
Old 07-30-2015, 08:21 AM

When I think of 30s fabric, I think old patterns. My favorite I've done is a nine patch block mixed with a snowball block. Pictures are in here.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t267454.html
That thread has several patterns that would work for you.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I want to keep that momentum going for now, so whatever I end up making, I'd like it to be super quick and super easy.

I used to turn to sewing as a way to comfort myself and think through problems. I wish that still worked.....
I can totally understand your thinking. When I want to do something mindless," I turn to HSTs which I love to do. I would cut those fat quarters into squares (3 1/2 or 4 1/2 inches) and cut a background solid in the same size squares. Then start piecing thoseHSTs. I do mine the old way of drawing a line diagonally and stitching a quarter inch on both sides of the line then slash on the line. There are so many ways to put these HSTs together.

{{{wink, wink}}} sometimes by the time I finish my squares, my funky mood is gone and I'm ready to pick up where I left off.

Good luck. I hope you'll be back to your old self quickly.