Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quick help needed - little girls want to sew!!!! >
  • Quick help needed - little girls want to sew!!!!

• Quick help needed - little girls want to sew!!!!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM

I had kids sewing at my house once a week last summer. We started with lines on lined notebook paper, no thread
    then graduated to string blocks. The string blocks are good starter because with a foundation underneath, you dont' have to be TOO picky about seams. They can be chunky or thin as long as the edge gets caught. once flipped and sewn over covers alot of booboos. When the seams become a bit more consistnent (or boredom with string blocks sets in!), pillowcases are wonderful! My sewing kids were 13, 10 and 6. 2 boys and one girl. The boys LOVED the serger when we did pillowcases. I think they would have made more as long as the serger was involved! lolol
    Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM

Oh my goodness, thank you all for such speedy responses!!!! What an amazing bunch of helpful people you all are! Sewing on lined paper to get the feel of straight lines (i could probably use a bit of that skill practice.....) and then pillowcase and carry all bag on the docket!!!! If it rains, maybe a teeny tiny quilt!!! Many, many thanks!
    Old 05-24-2013, 08:03 AM

I gave my friend Kathy a hamper full of scraps for her granddaughters. They loved to look at and pick out the fabric that they wanted to use. So maybe let them pick the fabrics!

I'm so proud to have played a small part in the development of new quilters!! I taught their grandma, my friend Kathy to quilt too.
    Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 AM

my mom was a home economic teacher. when she taught my girls, she started with lines on paper and no thread in the needle, then progressed to squiggly lines with no thread, then thread to make designs. The straight seaming things. Pj bottoms are a favorite, though you'll probably have to help with cutting out and elastic. let them pick out the fabric. The thing with the pj's is that they have a big brag factor with other kids, which reinforces the desire to keep sewing. also teach them how to thread a needle and do a sewing knot ( dampen finger, wrap thread around 3-4 times and roll with your fingers)
    Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Rag quilts are easy for kids and quick.
    Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM

My young cousin also started showing an interest in sewing at that age. We made a very simple 4 patch doll blanket, no batting, quilting, or binding. And now she is slowly working on a crib size blanket, again pieced all with squares.
    Old 05-24-2013, 03:57 PM

At that age my gran had me making doll blankets and matching doll pillows, which were stuffed with scraps.

My blankets were made with the "birther" method (2 pieces of fabric with right sides together, sew 3 sides and part of 4th, turn inside out & hand-sew the gap, then we'd add 4-5 yarn ties to hold the halves together) so very very simple; no piecing, batting or binding.

I also used to hand-sew stuffed mice for our family cats around that age too. I had a really simple pattern that was basically 3 ovals of felt sewn together with yarn for a tail and scraps for stuffing. I'd use markers to make eyes and ears and a nose. Sometimes I'd get fancy and sew beads or itty bitty buttons on for the eyes.
    Old 05-24-2013, 05:04 PM

you could try a tote bag. every little (and big) girl loves a pretty tote.
    Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM

If they like dolls, I would suggest doll quilts/blankets. When I was a girl, I made clothes for my dolls but I sewed them by hand and they were awful. Had fun doing it though!!
    Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM

All of the idea's are great. However, I would pick 3 as a suggestion and then ask her what she like's best and let her pick. Let her also pick the fabric. Thus, her autonomy get's built and a new sewer is born. I'm real big on letting kids have choices that are all worthwhile.