Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick help needed - little girls want to sew!!!! >

Quick help needed - little girls want to sew!!!!

Quick help needed - little girls want to sew!!!!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM

What about a tube quilt. Eight fat quarters cut into 5 inch strips sewed together all the strips and sew the first with the last. Then cut 5 inch strips from the tube. Then cut the strip apart a a differnt block and sew back to gether. A really nice size quilt to watch TV with. They can do the pillow turn after layering with backing batting and top. Then tie with yarn or embrodery floss. I have worked with several girl about the age of your granddaughers and they really enjoyed this quilt. Have fun with what ever you decide.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 AM

when my granddaughters were that age they all wanted to sew. One could not even reach the gas pedal as she called it. My husband took a box put the pedal on it. I then cut 5" squares and let her sew them first in two's, then into 4sies etc and she made a small lap quilt which we sandwiched and I straight stitched to quilt. This type of sewing allowed them to sew a straight line and then some rows. One of them decided she didn't want to make a quilt after all cause it was toooooooooo much work rather be outside painting on the sidewalk so she just made one big enough to fit her doll. More recently my great granddaughter now 5 wanted to sew also so I just happen to have 25 10 " halloween fabric squares and she sewed those up and then I put it on my long arm and sewed goblins on it. Everyone was happy and the time spent with each one of them is priceless. Gotta admit even my grandsons would come in from time to time to try the art of sewing. Enjoy because whatever you do with your granddaughter will be PRICELESS.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bjgallent View Post
The first thing my granddaughter made when she visited was a pillowcase. I had her use the edge of the presser foot as a guide. You could also make drawstring bags.
All of my grand daughters made a pillow .We got a piece of paper and sewed strips of fabric until it was covered framed it and removed the paper found some for the back sewed them together and stuffed with fiber or batting sewed up the opening. Each of them used their pillow for TV the car and camping.It was a great success and was made out of scraps.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
Help! My granddaughters (ages 7, 6) arrive tonight (Fri, 5/24) and I just learned that the 7 yr old has become very interested in sewing.

Any quick, easy, low frustration ideas for what I can do with her??????? I saw the criss-cross coasters in an earlier thread this week but wonder if a young girl needs coasters......

Help!!!! I am grateful for whatever advice comes my way!!
I don't know about coasters, but she could do chicken scratch on a blouse, skirt or apron. There are simple printed cross stitch or embroidry blocks to be usee in a qulit, besides the previoiusly suggested pillow case.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I would draw line trails on paper and let the girls practice following the lines with an unthreaded sewing machine, until they get their coordination. The needle holes need to stay on the lines. They will learn sewing machine coordination, as well as speed with the controller, and can't hurt anything. Besides, most kids find this activity a load of fun!

As an alternative you could tear out coloring book pages and have them follow those lines.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine View Post
What about a pillowcase, a large pillow for watching TV or an apron.
Excellent choices for a beginner
Old 05-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I would draw line trails on paper and let the girls practice following the lines with an unthreaded sewing machine, until they get their coordination. The needle holes need to stay on the lines. They will learn sewing machine coordination, as well as speed with the controller, and can't hurt anything. Besides, most kids find this activity a load of fun!

As an alternative you could tear out coloring book pages and have them follow those lines.
IMO, let the girls just sew. Looking for perfection the first trip out is frustrating to little hands.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 PM

I started my gdaughter out with a pair of pajama bottoms. She loved that project and wears the pjs. Her 2nd project was a pair for her brother. With school out, she mentioned that she's ready to do some more sewing. I know she would like to do a rag quilt and also a pillowcase.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:28 AM

Default Try this link to a little Tote bag....to sew

Originally Posted by RGAY View Post
Help! My granddaughters (ages 7, 6) arrive tonight (Fri, 5/24) and I just learned that the 7 yr old has become very interested in sewing.

Any quick, easy, low frustration ideas for what I can do with her??????? I saw the criss-cross coasters in an earlier thread this week but wonder if a young girl needs coasters......

Help!!!! I am grateful for whatever advice comes my way!!
http://www.favequilts.com/Machine-Applique/Little-Star-Tote//ml/1

I love this site for ideas...Plus this tote would be useful
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 AM

When my grandchildren wanted to sew (boys included) I first drew lines on a piece of typing paper, 1 page of straight lines, then slightly curved , zig zag etc. You get the picture. I removed the thread from the machine and had them sew on the lines just to get the idea of how to handle the machine. When they had accomplished getting through all of the sheets they were then ready to use fabric. They came out of the paper sewing with a sense of accomplishment and also knew how to handle slight turns etc. We then graduated to making small pillows, doll blankets, pillowcases etc. My grandson was so proud of his own pillowcase that he brought some of his buddies and on that afternoon we made a bunch of pillowcases.