Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The quick ripper >

The quick ripper

The quick ripper

Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 AM

I am a bit embarrased to say I have had one for years ....I bought it to "erase" embroidery ooppss! I wasn't super impresses with it although it worked fairly well on woven fabric it was horrible on knits. So guess I need to get out my new (old) Wahl stitch eraser and see if I like it for quilt reverse stitching. Sue
Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 AM

When I first heard about these seam rippers, I thought it looked just like my neck trimmer so I tried it. I really love it for long seam removal. I live in a small town and the only way I can get sewing/quilting notions is on-line or a 80 mile round trip to Joanna. I have a Gingher seam ripper that I like but mostly I use a double edge razor blade with painter's tape over one edge (which is what us old timers used to use).
Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I seen it but have not bought it..
Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 PM

Hey! I love being on a board where people have to rip out seams. I know some people who claim they don't even own seam rippers, but they fall into the same category with people who never burned a pan of cookies, baked a cake that fell, or had a fight with their husbands. froggyintexas
Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
Hey! I love being on a board where people have to rip out seams. I know some people who claim they don't even own seam rippers, but they fall into the same category with people who never burned a pan of cookies, baked a cake that fell, or had a fight with their husbands. froggyintexas
Hahaha either they are big fat liars or have never sewn a seam, baked cookies or a cake and they are single..
third option is they are unicorns :-)
Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 AM

There is another option to 'never ripping a seam' - throw it away and do-over. Works for me especially if the stitches are 18-20 per inch. Of course do-overs won't work if it's a looooong seam and you're sewing two columns of blocks together in the final step of your quilt. That's when I my rechargable neck trimmers come in handy.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:44 PM

I have it, and I love it. I bought it about four months ago and the batteries are still going, maybe getting good batteries it will last longer.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:40 PM

I love mine and believe it still has the original battery - but I have had it for at least 3 years. The first time I saw it I passed on it, thought it was a luxury item and not needed. But the more I quilted the more it made sense. So the following year I went to the show, and when I found it belong demonstrated I bought it. The friend with me said it looked like a mustache trimmer to her - I had never seen a mustache trimmer, my husband always used scissors - so I thought I wasn't going to wait another year if she was wrong so paid my $16.00 and went home with it. That's part of the fun going to the shows is getting something new.

It works well, I have nicked fabric on those times I used a very tight stitch - but have done that with my manual rippers too.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
Has anyone tried this seam ripper. It's battery powered and had a few good reviews, no bad ones. I saw it on Amazon. It's a little expensive at 15.49. But if it works and saves time ripping, which I do more than I want to admit, Lol, then it might be worth it. What do you think?
I'd create problems I couldn't fix if I had a fast ripper.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
There is another option to 'never ripping a seam' - throw it away and do-over. Works for me especially if the stitches are 18-20 per inch. Of course do-overs won't work if it's a looooong seam and you're sewing two columns of blocks together in the final step of your quilt. That's when I my rechargable neck trimmers come in handy.

reset your stitch count. I very seldom throw anything away