Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Quietest Sewing Machine >

The Quietest Sewing Machine

The Quietest Sewing Machine

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM

Another thing, don't run it at top speed. That increases the noise level.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:50 AM

I have 7 machines. My Singer 301 is also the quitest of all. Just purrs quietly along. I love it and only paid $150.00 for it.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I have several machines and the quietest one is my vintage Singer 301. I think my Janome 6600 is awfully loud but my aunt that uses a much smaller Janome thinks mine is very quiet. I think the smaller, cheaper machines are louder. But, my vintage machines are definitely quieter. If you want really quiet get a treadle!

Strange, that is the same one I was going to recommend. When I am at guild among all the new machines, my 301a is definitely the quietest. I have even converted several other members to 301's.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 AM

If its a portable, I got a rubber-like pad at the office supply store for under my machine and that
helped cut down on the noise mine was making.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
If you are using a portable, give consideration to the table/surface you are using. Even a piece of batting or old placemat under the machine can help reduce noise.

Dayle
I was going to suggest this. THe thing I have found is a piece of carpet. THe bound samples they sell at the carpet store or even Lowe's.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Before buying another machine, maybe it would be worthwhile to try putting something under it to absorb some of the sound. I'm thinking some sort of dense, cushioning material such as yoga mats are made of might do the trick. In fact, you could try just putting some folded up batting under it to see if that makes any difference. The trouble with the batting will be that the machine may move around. Another option is a non-slip placemat or shelf liner often available at dollar stores. If there is a wall between the machine and the bedroom, you could hang a curtain (or a quilt!) over it to work as a sound barrier. I did this inadvertantly by hanging a quilt in front of my desk. My DH's desk is on the other side of the wall, and even though there is an open door to my left we have trouble hearing each other clearly and one of us always has to get up and walk over to the door when we have something to say. We have joked about calling each other on cell phones or using IM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

My Singer Quantum is air electronic too! When I bring it to a sew day no one believes the foot petal is is non electric but runs on or makes air. I haven't figured that out at all. But it doesn't make any sewing noise, it's a quiet hum. No needle going up and down noise. I use it for decorative stitches. It's the first of the Quantum line and very hard to find. Even the same model number I've found isn't like the very first ones. I bought it before I started quilting. It has great decorative stitches.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM

Smile I use this machine every night and love it!

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
First of all, have you checked that your machines are well oiled? My sister's was much, much quieter when I got her to oil it. Second, instead of buying a new machine, consider getting a 'white noise' generator for your husband. Until I moved my sewing room downstairs, I sewed in the room next to my parents since I had to be upstairs during the day to look after my Dad. My mom is a very light sleeper and the machine never bothered her once I got her a nature sounds generator. This [/URL]is the one I bought, but I don't recommend it because a lot of people apparently are unable to figure out how to use it (I bought it for parents 8 years ago).
I take this with me even when I travel. I have to have white noise due to tinnitis in my ears. This is a great little machine with different sounds. My son likes the waterfall. I like the ocean waves. I think you could figure how to set it and then just cut it on. My babylock quilter's choice is pretty quiet although it makes a weird noise when you first start stitdhing. but I love it anyway. It would definitely keep hubby awake but since we go to bed at the same time that's not a problem. My eyes close about 10pm so no sewing for me at night!! lol!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:20 AM

I just thought I had screwed up my machine somehow and thats why its loud... I learn so much here thank you ladies
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 AM

I get up early in the morning,my featherweight is very quiet and I get alot done while husband is still sleeping, if you could find one, this is a machine you will love. good luck with your search