Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilt Backing...am I the only one?

I piece some backs simply to use up the fabric I have. I also have trouble finding backing in my area. There is not a huge selection available.

Blog Entries
    Have done both but my favorite is to back with a king sized sheet (I make B-I-G quilts). They come in such gorgeous patterns and colors and if I plan for a smaller quilt I use the edges of the sheet incorporating it into the quilt pattern on the front thus everything appears totally coordinated (kind of?). I so love this occupation ............

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    Have done both but my favorite is to back with a king sized sheet (I make B-I-G quilts). They come in such gorgeous patterns and colors and if I plan for a smaller quilt I use the edges of the sheet incorporating it into the quilt pattern on the front thus everything appears totally coordinated (kind of?). I so love this occupation ............
    Thats what my Mom did! I noted that the sheets, depending on where purchased were a lot less expensive than the same amount of material! She would turn the edges of the sheet over and make sort of the last border with it....

I mostly use single backs, but have pieced some also.

Nope.. I use single fabric backing. I never really saw pieced backing until I joined this board.

Blog Entries
    I have done both but usually use a single color backing. I usually use my favorite which is a white paisley. I have to sew two or three lengths of fabric together to get it to fit especially a king size. I have made two quilts with a pieced back.

Blog Entries
    For me it depends on the quilt. I do both pieced and whole backing. I don't know of anywhere to get $10 wide backing. The LQS here charges almost $22 a yard for wide backing and I don't like muslin for backing. More often than not I piece a backing of the same fabric so it appears its one whole piece.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I piece the backs. I do not think that it is that hard and besides I ususally can not find wide backing fabric that goes with the quilt top. Also I think that wide backing fabric is nmore expensive that 45" fabric.
    Actually wide backing is less expensive! Assume you have a queen size quilt you need to back. 45" wide fab, which these days it is really only about 42" of usable fab once you remove selvedges, you need to purchase at least 7 yards of normal width backing (usually 8 to 10 depending on how many seams you are willing to have ). Wide backing (108") fabric you only need 3 yards. Less than half. Most wide backs I see are in that 14.99 price range but I have seen it as low as $10 on line. Compare that to an average cost of fab at around $8 P/Y. 7 yards at $8 = $56.00 3 yards at 15 = $45 so the wide is less expensive because you have to buy less.

I like both pieced backings and one fab. I like using leftovers from the front in some pieced backs. But I do prefer a pieced back that is appealing to the eye not just big chunks of fabric put together helter skelter. If I am hand quilting I prefer as few seams as possible in my back. But if I am LAing it anything goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I don't DISlike them, it's just that by the time I get to that point, I'm pretty tired of the whole thing for a while. Love it later though,
    and don't want to get rid of it.
    Have a grand daughter who is due 3 more days, don't know if it is a boy or girl yet. They aren't talking!!
    Ditto. I just want to get it done and move on to the next project. I am also a person who doesn't like clutter and I think piecing the back feels like too much to me - I need a single fabric back to balance the business of the front. Just a personal quirk of mine. :wink:

I do both .... some quilts "demand" a one fabric backing and others "want" for a pieced backing. Also, if I'm sending for hand quilting, the backing will be with as few seams as possible .... one fabric, or possibly minimally pieced (as in inserting one block or similar.

A one fabric back, can sometimes give you a nicer look at the quilting or the benefits of a second whole cloth quilt. At Christmas, I flipped one quilt to the back that had a black/gold print. Then laid a Christmas lap quilt on top ... showed it off better than it being on a couch in the family room! And can see doing the same for other seasonal quilts, rather than making a full bed quilt in the future.

Here's one with a pieced back .... it just seemed right!

Butterflies in My Garden .... The Front!
    Name:  Attachment-213712.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  82.1 KB

Butterflies in My Garden .... The Backside!!
    Name:  Attachment-213713.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  91.1 KB

I have always done a single piece backside. But then I wasn't exactly sure how to center it if it was pieced with multiple rows and such. Seems like a lot of frustration to me, but am sure there is an easy way.

That is what I learned to do, solid backings. I think the pieced is a great alternative. I want to try it on my next quilt.

Blog Entries
    Mine are mostly solid, but sometimes I piece for fun or necessity :D:D:D

I piece the back if I have good sized pieces of fabric left over from the quilt top. Otherwise I buy fabric that is on sale--like Connecting Threads--and use a soldid backing--still pieced because of the width of fabric, but all the same fabric. My family likes the pieced ones, they always look to see!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    :thumbup: Sounds good. What is the thread count? Or does it matter? Thanks for the information. BrendaK

The general rule is that I used one fabric on the quilt backs, but sometimes it's fun to break the rules! :-)

Blog Entries
    I usually do a one piece back, am getting ready to do an African quilt and will use African prints on the back in the brick design, as the front will be a panel with wide borders.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, you are not the only one..BUT give it time..the day will come when even you will have to piece a backing...it happens to the best of us all eventually!

I normally use one fabric on the back, mainly because if I don't I become concerned about trying to place my quilting so it looks good on both sides and it does not look good on either side (sigh).

I "piece" my backs whenever I have to put in a seam anyway due to having to use 44" material for a larger quilt. I haven't found many places nearby that sell the extra wide or if they do, it doesn't match the front at all.

I could order it online, which I might end up doing in the future to get solid backs, but I have become fond of the row of piecing on the back....it kind of ties the front to the back for me.

Blog Entries
    I don't have the luxury of purchasing a lot of fabric, so I do what I have to in order to keep quiltilng.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2