Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backing >

Quilt Backing

Quilt Backing

Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 AM

I personally don't like piecing together backing, so I've been using the 108" backings for quilts wider than 42 inches. Robert Kaufman has some fun ones. I like the circle ones: black/white circles, lime/white circles, gray/white circles. I also use the batik ones or the white on white ones (sorry, don't remember who makes those).
Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM

I only make lap size quilts. I use solid fabric for my backings so that I can piece in blocks to match the front of the quilt.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I do mostly lap size quilts for charity. I end up sticking the leftover fabric or blocks on the back of the quilt so I only have to have enough for the length of the quilt. It saves quite a bit of money
Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM

I like to get creative on the back. I'll use leftover fabric, or shop clearance for something that I think looks good. Sometimes I'll get fancy, sometimes not. I've never used the wide fabric, as it rarely complements my projects.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 PM

I've used wide backings, 44" seamed and cut to fit, pieced from leftover fabric from the front (sometimes in a HUGE block that I used on the front), colored, patterned, geometric, WOW, muslin, black.... it depends so much on that quilt and what the quilting is going to be on it. I do like contrasting thread on the solid backs! It gives it almost a whole cloth feel...
Old 05-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

When I first started quilting, I used the 44", but in recent years I've fallen for the 108". I really like the idea of one nice big piece. Also, it's onen less seam to deal with. I like patterns on the back as well so that if I should miss a stitch, or they are not all the same size (hand quilter), it is less noticable.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I prefer wide backs- even flannels can be found in wide widths. often I choose a pattern/print fabric or batik- once in a while a solid is the best choice- solids tend to show every stitch while prints tend to help any errors disappear- so if you are not an excellent quilter a print is much more forgiving. I buy a lot of my wide fabrics from fabric.com where they have great prices and free shipping at $35 so expense speaking wide backs can be a much better deal. it does of course depend on what size quilts you tend to make though. I make mostly queen sized quilts- so 3 yards of 108" wide fabric at $12-$15 a yard gives me plenty of backing (with some left overs to add to the stash or only $36- $45 (when you think about 6 or 7 yards of regular 45" fabric to piece a back at $10-$12 a yard- you are looking at $60,$70 up to $72-$84...even batiks at $17 a yard for wide only comes out to $51 for 3 yards.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I like the wide back but my LQS doesn't carry a a big selection of it. That last time I went to get a wide back, I had to settle for 45 instead to match the quilt. I don't have to have the quilt top and back super matchy but I do like the binding to look nice on both sides.
I don't mind piecing the back since Bellaboo gave me a trick to do it. You sew down both selvage sides to make a giant tube. You then open the tube and cut down the center of one piece. You then have the quilt back in three sections which is recommended for a pieced back.
Tartan,

I purchase my wide backs from thousands of bolts, they run 9.95 -13.95 for regular fabrics and 14.95-16.95 for batiks. 2yds is more than enough for a throw/twin/full quilt, 3yds is enough for a queen/small king.

And I prefer wide backs because I am too lazy to take the time to piece a back I have a long arm so it also works a little better without a seam.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:22 PM

I really like wide backs when I'm in a hurry but, I usually just use orphan blocks from the front or I just cut squares of the front fabrics and piece a checkerboard strip to make up for adding width. Someone on the board mentioned a while ago, that if you use the front fabrics also on the back, the quilt can be repaired in the future with fabric that has the same fade, wear, ect. I love that concept but don't know if it will ever happen.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:25 PM

I always shop the sale room/rack at quilt stores for backing material. It is at least 50% off and sometimes more. I often use fabric that had it been on the regular rack at full price I never would have considered it because it didn't speak to me but as a backing even ugly fabric comes alive with personality and you can't beat the price. My quilting budget goes a lot farther by doing this and I'm still getting good quality fabric.