Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Backs, I'm Curious.  How Do You Decide on Fabric and Make Yours? >

Quilt Backs, I'm Curious. How Do You Decide on Fabric and Make Yours?

Quilt Backs, I'm Curious. How Do You Decide on Fabric and Make Yours?

Old 03-24-2019, 06:23 AM

Sometimes a large print inspires my fabric choices. I don’t often choose large prints for my top or borders, but it is fun for me to have it on the back. Other times, I choose a wide backing fabric in a neutral tone. I have pieced backs. I like to decide on my backing and binding at the beginning of my project.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 AM

I am not really picky about the back of my quilts. I try to coordinate the fabric with the top. I have learned to use printed fabric since it hides many quilting "pas fas". I like to use wide fabric but often I can not find matching fabric SO I use 45" and so it together(not too hard) . I have (but I HATE) to make my own fabric. I have used up extra fabric that way or extra blocks. If I am making my fabric- I start with a large square (45x45 if possible) in the center and then add strips around it until big enough! So much easier to buy!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM

I’ve made a few of this pattern but yours is really pretty with all blues

Donita
Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 AM

When I had a queen bed, I used king sized sheets for backing. Then I gat my king size bed. The only backing I can get that is wide enough is white or natural, so I dye my backs. I also piece backs sometimes, but dying is more fun. More and more of my family is switching to king beds so I wonder if I should even bother with queen quilts, or just start making all kings.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 AM

I do like the back to go with the top in some form. I haven’t used a wide back yet because I tend to personalize the back.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:22 PM

I piece my backs with fabrics from my stash that compliments colors from the front of my quilt. If I have a few extra blocks that I made for the front then I just put those on the back also.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jaylee View Post
Some quilts choose their own backs and refuse to be quilted with what you chose. Some quilts could care less about the backs, "just cover me...", other quilts will deal with whatever I choose.

I tend to like coordinating backs that I can insert blocks or leftovers from the front in.
I just love your reply, sew creative! but I do the same. and mostly use what I have for charity quilts but i do like the make them look nice.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:13 AM

For my backing I always make a two-sided quilt. The front side of the quilt is make with blocks in one design. Then the back side quilt is made in a similar block design. So, when I quilt the quilt I end up with two different designs that play together as one neat design when the quilting is finished.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 PM

I wait until the top is done, go to backsidefabrics.com, and pick out a selection of samples. I don't like assembling/piecing my quilt back and I Love the fact that they offer free samples. Most sites don't offer samples at all, nevermind free ones.

Once I get the samples I put them next to the top that's hanging on my wall and see what's right. Haven't had an issue yet.

I also usually choose either a completely different color than what's on the top or a color that doesn't dominate. Not always but usually.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-25-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-28-2019, 03:32 PM

I have pieced backs, thrown in extra block, and bought the 108" backings....I don't make my backing until I have finished the quilt. I have been really disappointed in the past 4 or 5 years in the quality of the backing fabric...(too course, and cheaply made in general.) I have gone back to piecing the back...more work, but better quality.