Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt binding Clips

Well I always pin my bindings on, don't even know why. I like the pins better than the red clips because it is more "perfect", the clips seem to tug the fabric a bit out of line, which can be easily taken care of. I have also used the hair clips. I think I am sticking with the pins for my binding. However, having said that, I have used the other types of clips for all sorts of things in sewing and crafts. So I like the red clips and the hair clips.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    I use the large hair clips from the dollar store!!

I purchased the red Clover clips. Fifty for $19.99 at Hancock Fabrics. Wasn't sure how much I would use them - but much to my surprise I used them on two current projects. Placemants and a bag. The bag was thick and I used them on the oval bottom. They were fantastic to say the least. It made sewing the bottom far easier. I also think they will work great for quilt binding, I always seem to stick myself with the pins while slip stitching. Fifty do go a long way.

This Wednesday is senior day at Hancock Fabrics, so you will save an additional 15% if you are at least 55.

Quilt Binding Clips

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I just hold the binding with my fingers, and I've never seen any need for pins or clips. What am I missing?
    I am also one of those who don't use clips or pins. I just hold it with my fingers and it is so much easier.
    Alice the quilter

Blog Entries
    A friend in our quilt group purchased them and is so thrilled with them.

I use the silver cheapo ones that you get for hair. I bought a box from somewhere, and gladly paid the $5.69 price, but still... when I can get them waaaaaaay cheaper in Walgreen's hair department, I will continue to go with those. I have also used teeny binder clips from the office in a pinch and they work too.

Anita in Northfield, MN

I have the red clips. For those who may not have seen them --they lie flat on the clear side and have 1/4" and 1/2" markings on it and the red side is rounded for bulky seams or binding. These clips were made for fabric and they really hold even slippery fabrics very well and they hold vinyl better than paper clips. I like them because (1) my GD likes to pull pins out of projects into the carpet which DH finds with his bare feet, (2) my cat likes to pull pins out of my pincusions and tries to eat them, and (3) I tend to prick my fingers on a regular basis. I like them a lot.

I love the red clips, too

Best thing since sliced bread.
    ranbro

I have tried it all but found that if I iron the binding down I can get away with just a few pins, moving them as I progress.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I just hold the binding with my fingers, and I've never seen any need for pins or clips. What am I missing?
    This is what I do too!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I used the "hair" clips for years...swapped them all out for the clover binding clips I love them that much!

Blog Entries
    I use the silver hair clips and they work but if the red clips work even better, I may have to check out amazon because $18 is a really good price. The cheapest I'd seen was about $25 for 50.

I've been using elmer's glue and the iron to set my bindings before I sew them. No pins and perfect binding.
    Linda

I have also been using the Elmer's glue, works great. Just did one last night. Wish I had known this a long time ago.

I love the little red clips and they have come in handy in the kitchen for closing up those little baggies of spices I get from the grocery store instead of the bottles of spices.

I use the cheap hairclips like kids wear, and I get about a dozen for $1.00 at the dollar store. WOO HOO
    pat design

I use office supply butterfly clips they are only 3.00 a box and work great. I do about 10 clips 4 inches apart at a time.
    "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

Blessings! Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    I know some that are using the hair clip for binding - don't know if these are the same or not
    The ladies in my quilting guild put me onto the hair clips the beauticians. They use them to hold on the binding instead of pins.
    I went to Sally's beauty supply shop and bought 80 clips for $3.99 (on sale from $5.99) a box. They have small medium and large sizes.
    They work great and a lot cheaper than any I have seen being sold for us for quilters

I have them and they are the best. I hope you enjoy yours

I just started using them about a month ago. Love them!!

I bought some and used them while binding a quilt. I was happy with them. Worth it.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use the hair clips also from the dollar store alot cheaper.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White. Many many more.
    Debbie

I have the new red wonder clips and I love, love, love them!! SO much better than what I was using before!!!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

I've never used special binding clips since the hairclips do such a great job. I have 2 friends who come running for my hairclips when they're ready to put binding on.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast