Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Binding >

Quilt Binding

Quilt Binding

Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 AM

Huh. I make the back a little oversized, fold it to the front and hand stitch. I thought lots of people did it that way. Guess not.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:07 AM

I always make my own double fold binding. When I have curves I use bias that I make myself. Most of the time I use some fabric from in the quilt itself - if I have enough, if not I use a contrasting color.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 AM

I do the same as Holice on the binding.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I take a 2.5 inch strip, fold in half and machine sew to back of quilt. Then I flip it over and hand stitch to front of quilt. I miter the corners. I love doing the binding. there are great videos on line regarding how to do this.

(aka double fold binding)
I sew mine to the front of the quilt, press it well to set the seam, then flip it over to the back and press within an inch of its life, mitering corners with the pressing and then whip it down on the back. If you do the pressing, you probably will not have to clip or pin the binding while you are blind stitching the binding. froggyintexas
Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 AM

I have been taught to bind two different ways. One easier than the other. First, use the binding you make yourself from a 2and 1/2 inch strips. Fold and press in half and you now have a strip 1 and 1/4 inches wide. Line up raw edges and sew either on the front or the back (your preference) with quarter inch seam. Then fold to back or front, whichever you choose to leave for last and hand stich remaining binding. Other way I learned in a class. Leave an extra 3-4 inches extended on the backing when you layer your quilt. When ready to bind, trim the batting and quilt top so they are even. Then trim the excess backing to the desired width - in other words, if you want a wider binding on the front, you would trim to 3 inches, fold in half , press, and then bring the remaining 1 and 1/2 inches to the front. Your raw edges are tucked underneath. With this method you can then machine stich the binding on the front. Sometimes I use a decorative stitch since it on the front of the quilt; REMEMBER, your stiches will also show through on the back of the quilt. You miter the corners as you go. I find this method very easy and convenient and a lot faster since you don't have to make and sew the binding seperately. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I take a 2.5 inch strip, fold in half and machine sew to back of quilt. Then I flip it over and hand stitch to front of quilt. I miter the corners. I love doing the binding. there are great videos on line regarding how to do this.

(aka double fold binding)
I do the same method BUT I sew it on the front and hand sew to the back.....I always try to match my boarder fabric, unless there is a reason to make it anything else.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts
I make my own binding out of one of the fabrics in my quilt or scrappy with all the fabrics of the quilt. I measure the quilt and then cut enough strips 2.25" to bind the quilt. Sew the strips together and then iron the binding in half. I sew it on the front of the quilt, miter corners and hand sew to the back of the quilt.
This is my favorite way too. I have folded the back over the front. I have also machine stitched both front and back of the binding. I don't use bias tape because it is single thickness at the very edge where it gets the most wear. I like doing it the way yayaquilts does because I can sew as many or as few pieces as I need to to make the strips and they always come out great.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM

I cut the 2.5" strips on the straight of grain (if I have the length) so it does not stretch. I sew it to the back, pull it to the front and use a decorative machine stitch to sew it down (my hands hurt too much to hold a needle).

If I am doing scallops, then I cut bias strips.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
2.5" strip folded sewed to front and folded to the back and hand stithed. with mitred corners. Lots of tutorials
Look for my binding tutorial on www.quilterstv.com
Ditto :D
Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM

I make my own binding out of one of the colors in the quilt. Cut it 2.5 inches, fold it over, sew it to the front, turn and hand stitch to the back. I have never tried to turn the backing to the front.