Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt block "encyclopedia"?

Quilt block "encyclopedia"?

I'm discovering that there is a LOT about quilting that I just don't know! I keep seeing mentions here to what are obviously common block patterns and I keep working out my Google page to find out what y'all are talking about...I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a good coffee-table type book that would have pictures of all these traditional quilt blocks in it. Something with color pictures that I can both use as a reference but also browse through and enjoy just on its own would be preferable. Not necessarily a book that teaches how to MAKE the blocks, more a reference to identify them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I hope someone answers you, because I would like that too!

A quick search on Amazon produced several results.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C200

I have one from Leisure Arts - "Mix and Match Blocks - A Comprehensive Handbook". I use it frequently. Also quilterscache.com and good old Google.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

The Quilter's Bible gives a picture and short description as well as alternative names for a large number of blocks. 501 quilt blocks has many of the traditional blocks as well as a lot of applique and themed blocks.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    This one is fabulous!
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/boo...s__D45081.html $32.95

Jan in VA
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-18-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    Barbara Brackman has a book out called:

Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns

It has line drawings of many patterns and a fairly easy to use and understand cross reference for names and patterns. Some patterns have several names - some names have several designs. It can get confusing.

I think it is impossible to have an absolutely 'complete' listing of every pattern and variation ever made. People keep coming up with new things all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Barbara Brackman has a book out called:

Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns

It has line drawings of many patterns and a fairly easy to use and understand cross reference for names and patterns. Some patterns have several names - some names have several designs. It can get confusing.

I think it is impossible to have an absolutely 'complete' listing of every pattern and variation ever made. People keep coming up with new things all the time!
    I agree. Barbara Brackman's book is the 'go to' book. I love my copy. I notice that quilt appraisers consider it a 'must have' reference.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I'm discovering that there is a LOT about quilting that I just don't know! I keep seeing mentions here to what are obviously common block patterns and I keep working out my Google page to find out what y'all are talking about...I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a good coffee-table type book that would have pictures of all these traditional quilt blocks in it. Something with color pictures that I can both use as a reference but also browse through and enjoy just on its own would be preferable. Not necessarily a book that teaches how to MAKE the blocks, more a reference to identify them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
    No color, but Maggie Malone has "1001 Patchwork Designs" for tradition block patterns. It's no longer in print but you can get a used copy at Amazon for under $10. Buy some colored pencils and color a xeroxed copy to see if your color choices are good. OR, buy some of the square graph paper I got a JoAnn's to copy the pattern onto. Kind of expensive for graph paper, but the fact it's square make it worth the extra money.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by SandScraps View Post
    The Quilter's Bible gives a picture and short description as well as alternative names for a large number of blocks. 501 quilt blocks has many of the traditional blocks as well as a lot of applique and themed blocks.

I had the 501 book and gave it to someone. Forgot who!
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    It isn't a book, but I have Block Base, which is a software that contains hundreds of different traditional blocks. It is searchable, and will print out rotary cutting instructions or paper pieced guides in the size you specify.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
    It isn't a book, but I have Block Base, which is a software that contains hundreds of different traditional blocks. It is searchable, and will print out rotary cutting instructions or paper pieced guides in the size you specify.

Sounds interesting!
    U N T I E

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    This one is fabulous!

Jan in VA
    My vote for Jenny Beyer's book. It is really great and I learned a lot from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    This one is fabulous!

Jan in VA
    Connecting Threads needs to thank you. I just ordered the book, and a batik fat quarter sampler, I've been wanting.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    A quick search on Amazon produced several results.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C200
    I probably should have said - I've looked on Amazon several times and browsed a little at the local book store but the problem is that there are SO MANY choices! I can't buy them all - I'm trying to get a feel for if there are 1 or 2 "favorites".

Looks like there are at least 2 or 3 I should give a second (third, fourth) look at!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I probably should have said - I've looked on Amazon several times and browsed a little at the local book store but the problem is that there are SO MANY choices! I can't buy them all - I'm trying to get a feel for if there are 1 or 2 "favorites".

Looks like there are at least 2 or 3 I should give a second (third, fourth) look at!
    i purchased 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone from amazon as my source. i got it for a good price and it is all color illustrated. you will find in your search that traditional blocks go by more than one name. the above reference book did list the various names of a particular block. i also bought 99 modern quilt blocks book.

good luck with your purchase decision. and know for as many quilters as there are, there is the potential to have that many book recommendations. the resources are almost endless so ultimately if you can go to a bookstore or browse online and see what may appeal to you and get it. you may end up with several books but they will go into your library and not be wasted.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Banned
    Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Blocks and Maggie Malone's 5500 Blocks are the ones I use the most. I also refer alot to Carrie Hall Blocks and to 1000 Great Quilt Blocks from The Patchwork Place.
    Brackman also has an applique encyclopedia book

I believe the Beyer's book are her own designs and far too many pieces resulting in designs that all look alike to me.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Babara Brackman's book is a great choice but my favorite too is Jinney Beyer's Quilter's Album - there is a lot of info on drafting your own blocks in there too.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
    Block Base is the computerized version of Barbara Brackman's "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns." I have both but enjoy the computer version more. Both were some of the first "quilty" items I purchased. I also have the 1001 Patchwork Designs, 5500 Quilt Block Designs and BHG 501 Quilt Blocks. The BHG is my least favorite but I use them all.
    Beverly

Blog Entries
    I have the book "5500 Quilt Block Designs" by Maggie Malone. It truly has that many block designs in it and it will give alternate names for the same block. I know longer use it so if someone is interested, PM me.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

If you have one, Half Pticed Books is a good place to look.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

if you'd also like an online source for quilt blocks, there's Marcia Hohn's Quilter's Cache ... the actual blocks start at: http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
    Liz / Calgary

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Well, I don't have any books like these so I just ordered "5,500 Quilt Block Designs". The hardback was less than $15. I need something like this and since I have so few books, I hope this one will be one that I can refer to quite a bit. Thanks gals for helping me, even though I wasn't asking for help. I just found this topic something that I could use.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I bought the Jenny Beyer one at a book store and the binding fell apart. I took it back. The owner said the binding wasn't right for that thickness of book. I got a new one and had Staples spiral bind it for me.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Go to the quilt section of the library. If you find one you like you can look at Amazon or other places to buy. If out of print you might be able to get it secondhand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast